File naming schemes for publishing

A.D.K.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, A.D.K. said:

Hello all,

I like the multi-file naming scheme options for publishing, but how do I apply the same scheme if I'm publishing only a single sheet?

Thank you.

Hello @A.D.K.,

Could you give me some more information on this one? Are you using the Publish command? Are you publishing single sheet in a single publish item?

It would be best if you can share a screenshot of your publish set and naming schemes or a test file.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov, thank you.

I don't know how to directly use a command, I only know how to click on the Publish menu item.  Command line 2021! (?)  (Just kidding)  This also occurs when I click "cloud publish," which makes sense.

Attached is a screenshot of the naming scheme that I swear makes sense to me. I'd like this to apply to a single pdf export as well.  At the moment, when I try to export a single pdf, it pops up as filename.pdf and I have to enter the desired file name manually.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

tempSS.JPG

Edited by A.D.K.
7 minutes ago, A.D.K. said:

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov, thank you.

I don't know how to directly use a command, I only know how to click on the Publish menu item.  Command line 2021! (?)  (Just kidding)  This also occurs when I click "cloud publish," which makes sense.

Attached is a screenshot of the naming scheme that I swear makes sense to me. I'd like this to apply to a single pdf export as well.  At the moment, when I try to export a single pdf, it pops up as filename.pdf and I have to enter the desired file name manually.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

tempSS.JPG

- I have tested this in VW 2021 with blank file and it is working correctly for me. Are you sure you have the Eqport PDFs as separate files checked? Because if you do not have it, PDFs will be created as one file using the VWX file name. If this is not the case, could you send me a test file that I can test with?

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hello @A.D.K.,

Just to verify that I get this right.

1) You want the naming scheme to be applied when you have only 1 PDF item for publish, no matter what the state of the "Export PDFs as separate files" is?

OR

2) You want the naming scheme to be applied when you have multiple PDF items for publish and "Export PDFs as separate files" is not selected(meaning many pdf pages in one pdf file)?

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov I would like the naming scheme to apply as in case 1). 

I would also like it to apply to multiple PDFs published with "Export PDFs as separate files" checked, but I think that is the current behavior.

I have been using this to name sheets that are published individually.  Sometimes I do several at once, sometimes only one.  I would like the naming scheme to apply to any individual sheet.  If I publish several sheets together as a package, I usually prefer to name it manually.

Am I doing it backwards or weirdly?  I'm open to workflow suggestions; I'm making this up as I go!

1 minute ago, A.D.K. said:

I have been using this to name sheets that are published individually.  Sometimes I do several at once, sometimes only one.  I would like the naming scheme to apply to any individual sheet.  If I publish several sheets together as a package, I usually prefer to name it manually.

Thank you for the feedback. 🙂 As a workaround for now you can simply publish with the option  "Export PDFs as separate files" checked.

• Like 1

@A.D.K.

You can export a single sheet to a PDF with the custom file naming with a little workaround

First publish multiple sheets to PDF and make sure that the option for Export PDFs as separate files is active in the File Export Options

In the Multi-File Naming Scheme set it to Custom name and in the Custom Naming Scheme set Sheet Title as the name (or Sheet# or whatever you want it to be)

Close the File Export Options dialog

Remove the sheets you don't want to publish and then hit the publish button

Now you should get a PDF with the sheet title as filename

You can save these settings to the predefined Multli-File Naming Scheme. As long as the "Export PDFs as separate files" is active you should be able to export a single sheet or designlayer to a named PDF with the name of the respective layer

image.thumb.png.d565113a4627abf6ee356ec6c2a32ee9.png

Edited by Art V