Space Object opacity

Tom W.

Many thanks Pat I did try a transparent texture previously (or rather a texture that had 'transparent' in its name) but it still looked fully opaque. But following your reply I tried again + changed the transparency to 'plain' + then it looks great. Is that to do with 'glass' transparency requiring light to work?

I can see its just a matter of setting Color to 'color' + Transparency to 'Plain' + you can have whatever colour + whatever % opacity you want. Excellent thanks

@Tom W.Would you mind sharing more information on successful setup.

Do you have two different class one for space object and other for 3D boundary (with texture)? Can you see transparent texture on space object in 3d view (Open GL) or it is only viewport setup? Do you need  light object in order to work this?

I cant seem to make it work. I only see 3D line boundary of space object in 3D view with no fill - texture showing...Using two different classes, one for space object one for 3D boundary...both 'by class' attributes (Space object style>Graphic Attributes tab)

Thanks a lot.

Hi @drelARCH I haven't used the tool much I was just playing around with it. This was on a design layer. I did make a 'Space Object-3D' class + assigned the 3D Boundary to it but I think I only did this because there was no opacity setting on the 3D Boundary attribute settings in the Space Settings whereas there is in class attributes. And I was flailing around trying to make the solid colour transparent. But as Pat pointed out, opacity only applies in 2D which is no doubt why you're not offered it in the 3D Boundary settings. All I did in the end was take a transparent blue plastic texture from the VW libraries + apply it on that class. When the object was still showing up as opaque I edited the texture + changed the transparency from 'glass' to 'plain' + then it worked fine. But I imagine you could apply the same texture directly in the Space object settings + it would work the same. I only ended up doing it by class because I was searching for a way to control opacity.

Yes this was all in OpenGL on the design layer with no lighting. I think you need light for 'glass' transparency but not for 'plain'.

Make sure if you're setting the attributes by class you set everything to 'by class' in the object settings.

I don't believe there are any plain solid fill colour textures in the VW libraries but you can just set image to colour + choose whichever colour you want + set transparency to plain + set whatever opacity you want + get a range of different coloured textures for use in this way.

What I haven't checked because I'm at a different computer right now is whether you can do this with Data Visualization or not: can you use textures in data visualization or just colours? Just colours I think so probably not...

One thing I've noticed is that if you choose to change the texture on a Space in the Space Settings rather than in the Class, you don't get to choose the texture from the Resource Selector like most tools, you instead get a plain looking window of a type I don't think I've seen before with the textures in your active file at the top then below this all the remaining textures in your libraries but without any way to search/filter them to find what you're looking for. So you need to import the texture you want into your active document beforehand in order to then be able to select it from in the 3D attribute settings unless you want to spend a day scrolling through all your textures. Why don't you get the Resource Selector like every other tool?

191902492_Screenshot2020-09-28at17_15_34.thumb.png.9c467cd48a3c16c6850eac35e4f699e9.png