Explain Working Planes Layer Planes

nwfonseca

Question

It appears that after working with Vectorworks since 2008 that I still don't understand how planes (or the ground) work . This is a recurring problem for me. In one file the view gets rotated. In another, my building somehow ended up 240" above the layer plane. I didn't select all and move the building in relation to the layer plane unless it is possible to do so without knowing you did it (is that possible?). That leads me to believe that you can alter the location of the axis origin on the Z axis in relation to the model. I have worked in other 3D applications and I never had a whole model move the height of the model up or down unless intentionally did so. It seems you are able to move the earth in relation to an object sitting on it or am I missing something?

1 answer to this question

UPDATE: looks like I might know what caused this. The earth wasn't pulled out from under my feet. A coworker had the design layer elevation set to 240" relative to the layer plane. That means the model IS floating above the earth. So when I would set my viewer height to 60" eye height I would be under the building. In order to stand at 60" I have to set the eye height to 300" The perils of file sharing I guess.