ConnectCad: Saving Symbols in Device Builder

Luther Core

What is the best way to save symbols in device builder? Currently I have device on a design layer that I needed to copy from a previous drawing. The previous devices were saved in a User Defined generic library. Unfortunately after making changes to the connectors and signals txt files ConnectCad would no longer work (it would hang while opening the drawing file or would hang while trying to create a new ConnectCad document). The repair tool did not work and ConnectCad continued to hang. The drawing file worked fine on tech support machine. Tech Support, recommended uninstalling and re-installing the program.  Of course, everything in the User Library was deleted. Opening the original file included my original devices. When I choose to "Save as Symbol", I receive an error message "The symbol [insert name] already exists. Do you want to overwrite its content?". Choosing ok does nothing. The device is NOT created in the Device Library. Even changing the device Make and Model does not result in a new device being created in the library.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Luther

That sounds like something we need to investigate further. So could you post or PM me the following 1) a zip of your ConnectCAD_Data folder, a .vwx drawing file that shows the problem and what steps I should take to reproduce it. Also let me know which version was showing this behaviour.

Thanks

Conrad

• Like 1