2021 - Font Bug

Taproot

Question

We moved a sample project into v2021.

I thought the transition was very smooth - this go around.

I'm still a little amused that every year we need to update all of last years files to the new file format, thereby requiring us to 'batch convert' all of our libraries and pre-existing files.

It would be nice if on the roadmap, the file type could stabilize so that the same format could be used between different releases of the software.

OK - back to the topic - FONTS

We use 'Avenir Next Regular'  as our standard font. 

I favor a hierarchical look, so headings, titles etc. are in the 'Demi-Bold' version of that font.

In translating the file from v2020 to v2021, all instances of Demi-Bold were wiped out.

What a nuisance!!  Keynotes, Worksheets, General Notes, Drawing Markers, Text Styles ... you name it.

It took A LONG time to restore everything within that file, and It looks like I'll need to do this manually to my Default Template as well.

But ... now I worry that any file I convert to the new format is going to lose this aspect of the text formatting and so ... a disincentive to upgrading.

If you use specialty fonts, check them carefully when converting.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Taproot said:

We moved a sample project into v2021.

I thought the transition was very smooth - this go around.

I'm still a little amused that every year we need to update all of last years files to the new file format, thereby requiring us to 'batch convert' all of our libraries and pre-existing files.

It would be nice if on the roadmap, the file type could stabilize so that the same format could be used between different releases of the software.

OK - back to the topic - FONTS

We use 'Avenir Next Regular'  as our standard font. 

I favor a hierarchical look, so headings, titles etc. are in the 'Demi-Bold' version of that font.

In translating the file from v2020 to v2021, all instances of Demi-Bold were wiped out.

What a nuisance!!  Keynotes, Worksheets, General Notes, Drawing Markers, Text Styles ... you name it.

It took A LONG time to restore everything within that file, and It looks like I'll need to do this manually to my Default Template as well.

But ... now I worry that any file I convert to the new format is going to lose this aspect of the text formatting and so ... a disincentive to upgrading.

If you use specialty fonts, check them carefully when converting.

@Taproot Sadly, I experience the same amusement, year after year. It just seems so…unproductive. And the font issue—ouch.

Edited by mjm

A few questions:

Are the fonts OpenType Font (OTF) or (OpenType) TrueType Fonts (TTF)? Or do you have both versions installed?

Is the font actually installed or just loaded through a font manager? Or is the font on a server and not installed locally?

VW does support OTF fonts for a few years, but it may default to looking for TTF fonts during batch conversion and omit the OTF version? Which could be considered a bug imho.

It seems like it can't find the correct font (or font name) and then replaces it with a different font during batch conversion.

@Art V Avenir came installed in my Mac system, so in terms of loaded versus installed I would go with the latter.

Here's a snipit from FontBook (apple's built in font-manager).

The font is listed as both Open Type and True Type.

1229125910_ScreenShot2020-09-26at2_30_59PM.thumb.png.2da416ee593469e1ffe4ad1139fe4af3.png

Here's a few screen shots of just one instance in the file.

The first screen shot is from our file in v.2020, the second is from the file loaded in v.2021. (sorry different zoom levels)

The heading font has changed ... this happens everywhere in the file.

330367936_ScreenShot2020-09-26at2_28_38PM.thumb.png.9edb45d9393aaa9bfcfc39f67bb80377.png

1614289177_ScreenShot2020-09-26at2_28_23PM.thumb.png.0a76f704a94ae476339560d198e9f5b7.png

I can't imagine that it's a system issue - as the font still performs correctly in v.2020 (we have both releases running side by side).  It definitely has to do with the translation to the v.2021 file. I'll send tech support the two files and see if they can determine where the problem lies.

The font naming is a bit confusing if you're not into typography, fonts are listed as Opentype (=OTF) or OpenType Truetype (=TTF) or TrueType (=TTF), I'm leaving out other font formats as these are hardly used anymore by the majority of users.

OpenType TrueType does not mean it is both OpenType and (OpenType) TrueType it just means that it is an OpenType font in TrueType flavour. OTF is the "old" PostScript flavor aka CFF.

If it only says "TrueType" then it means it is the "old" TrueType flavour which is available in Mac OR Windows versions and can be used on only one platform. An OpenType font works on both Mac and Windows (and Linux as well).

It looks like you only have the OpenType TrueType font installed, which more or less eliminates the possibility of a font naming issue that might occur when doing a batch convert.

If both OpenType and OpenType TrueType fonts are installed then the actual font names will be different for the OTF and TTF versions, and if e.g. the OTF version was used in the template and it would not be active it may not recognize the TTF version as being the same font due to a difference in the font-naming, it says PostScript name AvenirNext-regular in the font description whereas the TTF font would be "AvenirNext regular" (without the hyphen). Some applications will treat these as separate fonts and may not use the TTF version when the OTF version has been deactivated by the font manager. Most DTP software can handle this, but e.g. CAD software might not though VW is one of the few CAD programs I know of that support OTF fonts, most CAD software still support only TTF .

If it works ok in v2020 during batch conversion of older files to v2020, but not with v2021 then it is most likely a bug in v2021. So a bug submit is the right thing to do as you already intend to do.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Unlikely, but have you checked Font Mapping for the file?

Pat you nailed it... I did a deep dive and determined that was the problem.  Inadvertently, a font map had changed - so a simple fix for us and it's great to know that the 2021v. wasn't the issue.

• Like 2

Glad to help. Especially when a new version is just released it is easy to blame bugs. But there are enough beta testers that something like this would be (in my NSHO) unlikely to have never been reported before. That makes we want to take the "deep dive" and make sure you have checked everything else before claiming a bug.

There most certainly are bugs that get through, but if there was really a font import problem I think someone would likely of have found it before release.

• Like 4