Sloping garage slab?

Inspectorjack

These might help (from VW 2021 help system).  

The slab drainage tools are not intuitive at all and have some wonky behavior:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FFloors_slabs%2FCreating_slab_drainage_systems.htm

I remember seeing an explanation video somewhere out there (YouTube? VW website?) but I don't have a link for that.

Adding & subtracting to slabs is a bit easier:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FFloors_slabs%2FEditing_slab_geometry.htm

Good luck.

16 hours ago, Inspectorjack said:

This should be in the app-help (If it's there I didn't find it). 

VW staff have lots of "secret" support documents.  Here's a wishlist item with a request that management makes it all available:

VW University is a start, but with a problematic interface and not all of the content available.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, E|FA said:

VW staff have lots of "secret" support documents.  Here's a wishlist item with a request that management makes it all available:

VW University is a start, but with a problematic interface and not all of the content available.

Yes. I feel University is a great start and needed, but a mess in many aspects.  Progress tracking, version organization and relevance, etc.

• Like 1

This may not be entirely relevant to the original question, but.... For my work (one-man shop, mostly custom residential one-offs) I always like to stick with a) what is the simplest way to get there, and b) how does the thing actually get built. So for a typical sloping garage slab I have always found that a Roof Face is by far the easiest and most effective tool in the toolkit. Set slope to 1/4" per foot and set the high point correctly as it relates to the adjacent floor and voila. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, CipesDesign said:

This may not be entirely relevant to the original question, but.... For my work (one-man shop, mostly custom residential one-offs) I always like to stick with a) what is the simplest way to get there, and b) how does the thing actually get built. So for a typical sloping garage slab I have always found that a Roof Face is by far the easiest and most effective tool in the toolkit. Set slope to 1/4" per foot and set the high point correctly as it relates to the adjacent floor and voila. 

Appreciate your input, very relevant.  Although, a convoluted process,, I like the output I got using the actual slab tool with modifiers.  Site conditions may cause us to add more grade beams or even supporting piers but I'm OK with noodling that through on site at time of build.  I'd prefer they enhance the slab tool for sloping slabs that are not used for roofs with drains.  For now, I just changed the, drainage notes to a class that is invisible to get rid of the drain info on my slab that has no drains.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 1.41.47 PM.png

• Like 2

Or slabs and hardscapes

On 9/11/2020 at 11:00 PM, Tom W. said:

Thanks Jeff v helpful.

This is all new to me.

So the texture on an extrude you can easily rotate using Attribute Mapping tool or in O.I.P.

The texture on a hardscape you can also easily rotate both ways but when you do it in O.I.P. the 2D hatch doesn't rotate, only the 3d texture. Incidentally, I found the Attribute Mapping tool worked fine whether in Top/Plan, Top or an Isometric view.

Slabs however I can see no way to rotate other than by editing the texture where you can only rotate it by 90 or flip it by 180. What if I have floorboards in a room I want to go diagonally? There must be a way

127263899_Screenshot2020-09-11at22_57_02.thumb.png.d5564915cfdfca4c71012c26da92a2a2.png127263899_Screenshot2020-09-11at22_57_02.thumb.png.d5564915cfdfca4c71012c26da92a2a2.png

There is only one reason I can think of. One (or all) the tool(s) were deemed inadequate so they decided to create an new one to deal with it. Turns out the new one is also inadequate. It's like if you were to throw a bunch of random herbs in a soup pot, hoping to make it taste better. And it doesn't. So you throw in some more.... etc.

1 hour ago, CipesDesign said:

There is only one reason I can think of. One (or all) the tool(s) were deemed inadequate so they decided to create an new one to deal with it. Turns out the new one is also inadequate. It's like if your were to throw a bunch of random herbs in a soup pot, hoping to make it taste better. And it doesn't. So you throw in some more.... etc.

Hopefully the analogy doesn't go so far as to mean you can then never un-stir the soup, or we're in trouble.