Fix Rotated Plan View

nwfonseca

Question

I must have somehow rotated the plan view while I was working and now I can't get it back to the way I started. Is there a way to make the axes go back to original placement? Honestly I have no clue how this even happens. I have had a few times where the axes will somehow get rotated in relation to a model and I don't know how it even happens. Can I lock down the axes to prevent this from happening?

16 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Resetting to Top/Plan view should unrotated if you are in Rotated Plan View. Either Select Top/Plan from the View:Standard View menu (or use the keyboard shortcut). If you have a numeric keypad, the zero key will set the view to Top/Plan and rest Rotated Plan.

I kept doing that, but it keeps reverting back to rotated view. I don't even know how it rotated as I didn't specifically try and rotate it. I ended up copying and pasting it in place in another file. I was working on another file for the same project and now it looks like the model is not sitting on the ground even thought it looks like the it is sitting on the right location. When I go to test the walk through tool it says eye height is about 300" and I am in the building but when I set it to 60" I am under the model. I am not even sure how it is happening or what I am doing so I can take corrective measures. I don't know if I accidentally grabbed the axes and moved them or what? ugh.

Did you use Rotated Plan View? Or did you actually select everything and manually rotate it? Oh, you said above that you don't know.

If you go to the Design Layer(s) is everything square as you want it to be in the viewport? Or is everything rotated?

You probably want to check the help for information on Rotated Plan View as it is specifically designed for this kind of situation.

No, I didn't intentionally use rotated plan view unless I accidentally rotated it. It is conceivable that I accidentally rotated it, but I don't even really have a need to rotate it so I have no experience with rotated views. If I properly understood the underpinnings of it, I might be able to undo the "problem" Is it possible that I inadvertently hit a key and made it happen and didn't notice? Can that happen? If there is a better place to discuss this can you tell me where to find it? Thanks

If you are coming from a 3D view in your design layer e.g. top view and then go to top/plan view it may not always immediately reset the rotated view when you select top/plan view, you may have to repeat the top/plan view selection (or press zero again on the numeric keyboard) and then it should reset to normal view.

Or are you saying that the model itself is in correct orientation but the X/Y axes are rotated? That would indicate a rotated coordinate system (which I think was possible in the past for a while but it seems it is still not or no longer possible to rotate the coordinate system in a simple way.)

Edited by Art V
17 hours ago, nwfonseca said:

Okay, I was able to replicate how it is going into rotated view. When I double click on some polygons and poly lines to edit them, it goes to rotated plan view. I can get out of it by hitting zero but I don't rightly know why it does that. I added the file and you can try it out.

Another Auto Hybrid Test.vwx 90.9 MB · 3 downloads

The file seems to behave as expected, but without knowing which polygons/polylines you are trying to edit we might not see it unless we happen to try to edit the same polygons/polylines in case the issue is with those objects specifically. Could you please indicate which objects you are trying to edit, and the view you are in when starting to edit.

Are you on VW2020 or VW2021 or another version?

5 hours ago, Art V said:

The file seems to behave as expected, but without knowing which polygons/polylines you are trying to edit we might not see it unless we happen to try to edit the same polygons/polylines in case the issue is with those objects specifically. Could you please indicate which objects you are trying to edit, and the view you are in when starting to edit.

Are you on VW2020 or VW2021 or another version?

The polylines/ polygons are the ones with the pattern on it that you see in file when you open it. I am in VW2020 If you double click the polys the screen goes into rotated mode. I can look for more to see if they do it.

1 hour ago, nwfonseca said:

The polylines/ polygons are the ones with the pattern on it that you see in file when you open it. I am in VW2020 If you double click the polys the screen goes into rotated mode. I can look for more to see if they do it.

Actually it doesn't go into rotated plan mode in VW2021, when I open the file it is in custom view (i.e. not in one of the standard isometric views) and when double clicking on the polygons with pattern it remains in the same custom view., which is rotated relative to top/plan view.

If you go into top/plan (or even top) view and then double click the polygon it remain in top/plan or top view, i.e. no rotation relative to top/plan view.

The same happens in VW 2020, no rotated plan view on my system as the angle is in all cases (as in VW2021) 0 degrees..

It seems like you may have accidentally used the flyover tool and rotated your model so that it got into custom view as it is in the file you sent and it maintains that view when double clicking on the polygons.

If the view actually rotates relative to before double clicking then you probably should do a bug submit to find out if something is really going wrong.

1 hour ago, Art V said:

Actually it doesn't go into rotated plan mode in VW2021, when I open the file it is in custom view (i.e. not in one of the standard isometric views) and when double clicking on the polygons with pattern it remains in the same custom view., which is rotated relative to top/plan view.

If you go into top/plan (or even top) view and then double click the polygon it remain in top/plan or top view, i.e. no rotation relative to top/plan view.

The same happens in VW 2020, no rotated plan view on my system as the angle is in all cases (as in VW2021) 0 degrees..

It seems like you may have accidentally used the flyover tool and rotated your model so that it got into custom view as it is in the file you sent and it maintains that view when double clicking on the polygons.

If the view actually rotates relative to before double clicking then you probably should do a bug submit to find out if something is really going wrong.

Weird, I just wish I knew how to make it straight again haha. Worse case scenario is I can redraw it.

nwfonseca

Greetings - Did you ever straighten out your issue on Rotate Plan ?

I stumble into this issue / problem now and then. As I never have the need to rotate the plan it is - as you stated - all by accident or some nefarious bit of VW code. I have NOT found a reset for a Rotated Plan View.

My current issue is a group / extrude that will not reshape as expected. If I look at the basic rectangle for the extrude, in the OIP, the Rotation in 0.00° - In the Tool Bar the Rotated Plan Indicator is 89.99° (¿Where that number came?)  

If I reset 89.99° in the Plan Rotation to Zero - and exit the extrude / exit the group - It still does not edit as expected - If I again, Edit Group / Edit Extrude, the Tool Bar Rotated Plan Indicator is back to 89.99° (?) - Redrawing is the only (aggravating) solution I am able to find (Search of VW Help is No Help)

Would think that there is a Set Plan Rotation, there should also be a reset Plan Rotation ?

Any answers and advice are always appreciated. 

Rotated Plan at 89_99 degrees_1.png

Example of Rotation where none is desired / none is needed

Screen Shot

Drag and Drop into drawing

Edit Crop

Paste existing Circle onto bitmap

¿ This Rotation of the Bitmap is for what Workflow ?

Assume that the circle dictated the angle of rotation from looking at the handles

Yet, in the OIP, the circle has NO rotation (?)

Peter

Rotated Screen Shot_1.pdf