Section cut casting an unwanted shadow

Stéphane

Question

Hello everyone, 

I'm pretty new to Vectorworks and still exploring its possibilities. I have discovered this forum which is really great and helped me to solve most of my issues. However, the issue im submitting to you today remains unanswered for me; that's why I created a new thread and really hope you could help me on this. 

So, I have a closed box made by walls and slabs that is cut in a section viewport. The box should be completely shadowy but light still cast in it. Why ? 

I explored the "Cast shadows of objects removed by section" found in "Advanced section properties" by ticking it and unticking it and nothing changes. Thinking that it could be a bug based on the objects themselves, I also tried to remove the wall and recreate it. Same for the heliodon. Still nothing changed. 

Yes, my trees look like pink marshmallows. 

1410998073_Capturedcran2020-09-2511_08_54.thumb.png.9020ca92b3d8cd8ca7e94a700dc9bddb.png48482830_Capturedcran2020-09-2511_38_56.thumb.png.c9e999df071f76cc7becdd3b67d0268d.png

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 hours ago, Stéphane said:

Hello, 

Is my post clear enough ? Would you need additional informations in order to answer ? 

Can you upload a small file showing the problem?  Maybe make a copy of the file, delete everything out but the walls and slabs involved (and the section viewport), and purge all unused stuff?

18 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:
On 9/30/2020 at 3:07 AM, Stéphane said:

Hello, 

Is my post clear enough ? Would you need additional informations in order to answer ? 

Can you upload a small file showing the problem?  Maybe make a copy of the file, delete everything out but the walls and slabs involved (and the section viewport), and purge all unused stuff?

If you'd rather, you can send the file as it is to me privately.

4 hours ago, Stéphane said:

Tank you Matt for your answer. Here is a test file. I checked it and the issue still occurs on it. 

TEST FILE.vwx

Thank you for the file.  I took a look and see the issue.  I investigated this and found it is a known bug that affects a Renderworks modes.  OpenGL, however, does provide correct shadows (make sure to select Use Shadows on the OpenGL render settings of the viewport).  If you can get by using Open GL, that would be a possible workaround for now.

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, Dave Donley said:

Hello Stephane:

I think this problem is specific to using Artistic RW style.  It doesn't happen with Photorealistic RW style.  Using a Photorealistic style would be a workaround you might consider.

Thanks for clarifying this, Dave.  So there are more options other than OpenGL.

Stephane, You may want to try a non-artistic Renderworks mode and apply Image Effects to the viewport.  This might get the rendering a little more "stylized" than straight Renderworks.  Just a thought.

Speaking of stylizing, if you wanted to make it very stylized you can use Vectorworks Cloud Services.  If you are on a Mac you can copy the viewport rendering, paste as image to Preview on the Mac, save as a file, and then stylize the image with different styles.  Maybe too stylish but that is your option.

https://cloud.vectorworks.net/portal/help/pages/stylize-images-machine-learning/?app=WEB

• Like 1