surprise Glitch when switching menus VW2021

LarryO

Question

fresh install of 2021.

migrated company menu from VW2019 via install.

Switched to company menu and closed most of the now non-tabbed Navigation and Object Info windows.

Switched to Architect and back to company menu. Look at what I found hiding near the right edge of the monitor.

If I open, lets say the data palette, and close it then one of them will become the data palette and it will close when triggered to do so.688241980_glitchswitchingmenus.thumb.JPG.92cafc2cf574d47a367b0583f0b5e796.JPG

3 answers to this question

I'm just passing by Larry, but thought I'd assert; Based on my experience providing Vectorworks Tech Support, I'd say either:

• Your custom Workspace file is corrupt, or 
  • One of the Vectorworks settings files is corrupt, or 
  • Translating a workspace from 2019 to 2021 doesn't account for the new detachable tab-palettes in 2021. 

Personally, I'd try:

1. Deleting the migrated workspace in 2021, then use Migration Manager to bring it in from 2019 a second time. Failing that; 
  2. Delete the Vectorworks 2021 User Folder (with Vectorworks 2021 closed), reopen Vectorworks 2021, then migrate ONLY the Workspace. (This should account for potentially corrupt settings files). Failing that; 
  3. Submit this to Vectorworks Tech Support for your region. 

I'm curious to see if I can reproduce this. Would you mind uploading your company/custom workspace file? 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/24/2020 at 7:14 PM, LarryO said:

fresh install of 2021.

migrated company menu from VW2019 via install.

Switched to company menu and closed most of the now non-tabbed Navigation and Object Info windows.

Switched to Architect and back to company menu. Look at what I found hiding near the right edge of the monitor.

If I open, lets say the data palette, and close it then one of them will become the data palette and it will close when triggered to do so.

Hi Larry, 

Jeremy may be correct above about your workspace files being corrupted somehow.  I haven't seen this particular problem before but it definitely looks incorrect.  I have sent you a private message requesting your workspace files so that we can investigate the problem.

Palette data is stored in two different places in your user folder, the saved settings file and the workspace itself.  If there is saved settings information for a workspace then that is used first, and then it falls back to the workspace if there is no palette info available in the saved settings.  This allows for palette positions to be saved without having to modify the workspace file.

You can reset the palette positions in your saved settings by using the Reset Saved Settings button on the Session tab of the Vectorworks Preferences dialog, but note that resetting that will also clear out other data.  But this is a way to reset those palette positions if that is causing the problem. 

Another option is to just create a new workspace based on one of our shipping 2021 workspaces.  That may be the best solution if you are still having issues.

Best Regards,

Ian

• Like 1