Why are there stray lines when printing 3d objects?

LarryO

Question

This is what I see on the monitor in VW2021 using OpenGL. In the pdf are scans of the pages that VWs prints.

What is causing those stray lines to appear? This is something that has been frustrating when attempting

to use the 3d aspects of Vectorworks since VW2012. Both Minolta and Sharp printer/copiers communicating via PCL.

Our MinoltaC368 series printer copier is only three years old and has been upgraded with 2019 firmware/software.

This has been happening from both Win and Mac platforms. It will also occur when printing pdfs generated from VWs.

Bluebeam will display the pages as expected but the output to a printer is corrupted with stray lines.

Any thoughts on how this can be resolved?

If we have to resort to 2d only drawing techniques the industry may as well revert back to MiniCad 7. Think of all the inexpensive hardware we could save from the landfill!

Secondary problem, I have noticed that the different shades of grey applied to these objects (solid fill attribute colour)

are not being acknowledged in VW2021.

107283895_8569saddlesv2021.thumb.png.a7fd7298bdfcd6d7a1f934e666b8e270.pngSKM_C25820092414200.pdf

5 answers to this question

I have no idea what is going on, but I did not have a problem here. It printed just fine on my Cannon 2525 laser printer. No spurious lines here.  :-(. But I am on a Mac.

Sometimes having something very far from the origin could cause a rendering problem. But this usually requires an object more than 20 kM from the origin and I could not find anything that would appear to do that.

The best suggestion I can offer is to submit the file directly to Vectorworks Tech Support and see if they have any ideas.  Sorry.IMG_0672.thumb.jpeg.3e0bb0c8a153bfebbc369a16c935aa15.jpeg