v2021 - Speaker Array Hoists, Shackles, Stingers

Mark Aceto

Is there some functionality built into selecting hoists in the OIP?

I was expecting to select hoist symbols next but it doesn't seem to go anywhere after choosing the hanging support... 

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 8.39.03 PM.png

Also, I tried adding shackles as "pickups" (obviously not literally truss pickups) to the hoist symbols but that didn't work:

2106142061_ScreenShot2020-09-23at9_06_58PM.thumb.png.9c45130f0099942ffc1ba084ac713769.png

How do I make it look like the pretty marketing videos from a year ago (and still function with Braceworks)? The rear offset rigging point is in the correct location, and I keep seeing these super slick wire rope "stingers" (albeit they look more like Pixar than real life) in every promo video:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 9.10.58 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Mark

This is possible but you will need to create a custom shackle pickup symbol,
There are 2 things that must be correctly configured for it to work though,

First is make sure the the shackle's position inside the pick up symbol has the correct 'z' height as this defines the shackles insertion point in relation to the suspended object, if you are using one of the standard shackle symbol from an existing pickup the reference point is the lower loci

Second is that the new pick up symbol needs to have the 'SlingRecord' attached and with the correct distance entered, as this controls the position of the hoists hook relative to the suspended object

Below is a quick and dirty example I created by duplicating and editing one of the existing adapter symbols,

deleted the adapter geometry,

re positioned the shackle, I used 120mm, which is just a rough estimate

rotated it 90° on its z axis

and updated the SlingRecord distance field to 120mm
shackle pickup.PNG

If you want eye bolts or other hardware for visualisation purposes these can be added to the pick up symbol geometry as well

• Like 1

@jcogdell I don't have an loci in my truss pickups. Which one did you use?

I want to make sure the record is attached when nothing is selecting in the edit wind (like in the screenshot), correct?

What is the SlingRecord Distance measuring? I'm assuming the SlingRecord distance will tell the hoist to attach the look hook at the correct Z height of the bumper? This would also be massively helpful with LED video screens that just get sucked up to truss trim, and until I manually knocked the screen down to make room for the bumper I attach (which doesn't talk to BW at all).

I have to force the hoist US because BW doesn't talk to the Rigging Guides I set in the Configure Array dialog.

VW Team: it would be helpful if bumper symbols had holes drilled with 3D loci that we could snap the shackles. In the meantime, workaround is to find the manufacturers drawings, and remodel the symbols, so we're not roughing it in, and then making changes onsite. I'm still going to reference the Soundvision report for all of these details but it would speed up my workflow to have those predrilled holes and loci.

EDIT: success!

Notes:

1. Have to rotate motors 90º to rotate hooks 90º to align with shackles
    • Braceworks will de-rotate when it snaps, so just rotate 90 in the OIP
  2. Have to nudge US motor US of where BW will snap (edit Y in OIP)
    • *** After editing the SlingRecord Distance, the Hoist objects need to reselect the Pickup symbol (every time it's edited)
      • Not doing this is what confused me about the SlingRecord Distance
  3. Still need to RTFM from manufacturer / Soundvision report to confirm actual attachment positions (of hooks, etc)
  4. Would still love predrilled holes and 3D loci in bumper arm but I can mod that myself in the meantime

One step closer to the dream of a Braceworks Connected Entire System!

Also starting to feel comfortable creating my own pickups and slings (similar to Lighting Device Accessories)... 

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 11.19.54 AM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 2

@Mark Aceto The 3D loci in the shackle is from the zNested shackle that lives with the new pickup symbols.  They live on the NonPlot class and are there to take measurements from the pin and the apex of the bell(mainly put there by me to set the heights and insertion points of all those new symbols) when in wireframe.  That is why the new hoist hook also has a 3D loci.  

The sling offset is measuring the distance from the center of the truss (that auto connect cross that cannot be hidden) to the top of the inside of the bell in the shackle, of course if the pin is up then that measurement is to the bottom of the pin where the next rigging point will connect.  Keep in mind this measurement must be in mm due to the code of the record and I like to use 3 decimal places even though the field is set to use 1 place.  The loci are on the NonPlot class so they can be turned off by the user.

• Like 1

@Mark Aceto Those wire rope "stingers" are not in the content at this time.  My recommendation is if you would like to add steel to the pickup symbol to duplicate the symbol and add the length of steel you desire as geometry.  Just remember to change the offset in the SlingRecord and add the additional weight in grams.

3 minutes ago, JustinVH said:

@Mark Aceto Those wire rope "stingers" are not in the content at this time.  My recommendation is if you would like to add steel to the pickup symbol to duplicate the symbol and add the length of steel you desire as geometry.  Just remember to change the offset in the SlingRecord and add the additional weight in grams.

For context, I'm looking for something more realistic for Braceworks Drops:

• Stingers
  • Deck Chain
  • STAC

Here's a pretty standard torm. Because this is Tyler GT truss, it needs its own special pickups and plates.

844706247_ScreenShot2020-09-24at2_08_57PM.thumb.png.cbcc022be4b0ff2bfb3894daa1cb6581.png

I really just want to replace the chain & hooks with a stinger but keep everything kosher with Braceworks because this is the future and it's freaking glorious:

1466788613_ScreenShot2020-09-24at2_15_18PM.thumb.png.0c9cbb2d9498cf112a0fee2a121f7989.png

16 minutes ago, JustinVH said:

I'm a little confused about this solution because even when I select Show No Hoist, I still see chain and hooks. The truss pickup in a torm (BW Drop) would still be a standard truss pickup. Therefore, I think what I'm looking to modify would be the Hoist symbol?

Edited by Mark Aceto
On 9/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, Mark Aceto said:

Notes:

1. Have to rotate motors 90º to rotate hooks 90º to align with shackles
    • Braceworks will de-rotate when it snaps, so just rotate 90 in the OIP

I'm running into other situations (torms) where I need to rotate the low hook 90 but I don't want to rotate the entire hoist object (and it's 2D label legend) 90deg along with it. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to accomplishing this?

Hi Mark

11 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

I'm running into other situations (torms) where I need to rotate the low hook 90 but I don't want to rotate the entire hoist object (and it's 2D label legend) 90deg along with it. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to accomplishing this?

You're not missing anything, this issue is being worked on.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:21 PM, Mark Aceto said:

I'm a little confused about this solution because even when I select Show No Hoist, I still see chain and hooks. The truss pickup in a torm (BW Drop) would still be a standard truss pickup. Therefore, I think what I'm looking to modify would be the Hoist symbol?

From what I can tell the chain is being created in the 'none' class, not the hoist class and this is why it stays visible. I'll bring it to the developers attention

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

On 10/2/2020 at 12:55 PM, jcogdell said:

Hi Mark

You're not missing anything, this issue is being worked on.

From what I can tell the chain is being created in the 'none' class, not the hoist class and this is why it stays visible. I'll bring it to the developers attention

I came across when looking info about the similar thing. I have my own hoists, and I would like to place the whole thing to my own definition class, like "Hoists-Prolyft-Model xx". I can use the "assign class"-setting, but the chain goes to none class (and gets the objects class in OIP to none as well). The class settings in Hoist tool semm promising but don't help. I have also checked with default VWX hoists and get the same results. My goal is to a) assign the hoist automatically to the right class and b) be able to hide the hoist with that class. So, any news or help with this?