v2021 - L'Acoustics Bug (and workaround)

Mark Aceto

Well, it wouldn't be an official release without a L-A rig having scale issues. I'm assuming some other symbols may have the same errors. Fortunately, the fix is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

The age-old issue was that you had to change the units to mm before adding symbols (year after year).

This year, there's a new twist -- the bumper dims are incorrectly entered as feet and inches:

1014635680_ScreenShot2020-09-23at8_01_28PM.thumb.png.dccd2c4a95969ce866df314388913942.png

Resulting in this issue:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 7.41.51 PM.png

To correct this (info entered in the record field):

1. Find the symbol in the RM
  2. Edit 3D Component
  3. Deselect all geo in the edit view
  4. Go to OIP - Data
  5. Replace all the imperial punctuation with mm

1619530362_ScreenShot2020-09-23at8_26_15PM.thumb.png.5887404162e766f1f21b404dce74a2c6.png

1. Exit the edit mode
    1. BTW VW team please note my shrunken Exit Edit Mode text in the screenshot above (possibly a 4k display issue)
  2. Then in the Configure Array dialog, do the same with the offset dim from 520'0" to 520mm

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 7.49.25 PM.png

Also, from memory, I thought we always had to add the bumper in the last tab of the dialog but I guess we don't have to do that anymore. Or my memory is wrong. Either way, delete the extra bumper if necessary.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 8.03.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 8.04.28 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

2 comments / bits of info:

1)  The record attached to the bumper in the demo file was an old version, one in which the different dimensions were held in "number" fields.  When switching back-and-forth between Metric and Imperial (or, using Symbols created using the other unit convention), VW got confused and tried calling Metric dimensions "Imperial."  The new Record format changed those fields to "Text" to fix this sort of issue.

2)  When using these fields, the units marker must be included so VW knows what the number means when translating it from text.  The dimensions can use whatever length units are desired - as long as the unit marker is included.  This will allow, for example, "Metric" Symbols to be used in "Imperial" files.

See attached.  Same bumper in each array, one defined using Metric dimensions and the other, Imperial.

Audio_Units.vwx

• Like 1

@C. Andrew Dunning thanks for the explanation!

Side by side screenshots of your imperial and metric bumpers attached.

I'm glad this was such a quick and easy fix, no doubt because of your responsive tech support over the years.

VW team: just need to QC the input values of some of these symbols for the next SP. (Not everyone is as nerdy as us; has to be an Imperial Stormtrooper shooting accuracy joke in here somewhere... )

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.35.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.35.59 AM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 2
  • 2 years later...