Drawing Labels from Data Tags

Dylan

Hello Folks,

I've been experimenting with the data tag tools and setting my own style of tag to match our office standards for things like windows and doors.

I would really like to figure out how to make one that links to a viewport on a sheet layer and would pull the viewport name, drawing number and scale. That information should be available somewhere I would assume. If the auto created drawing label that gets created inside the viewport can access it there should be a way to access the info from outside the viewport? 

The reason behind this is to be able to have the drawing label (which would be the data-tag) auto coordinate with the viewport and have it styled to our office standard. No more forgetting to update scale or drawing number when moving things around...

Thanks!

-Dylan

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Dylan,

The Drawing Labels were improved in VW 2021 and now they have better customization, similar to Data Tags.

Anyway, if you do not have VW2021 yet, in VW 2020 you can get the drawing number and title in the Data Tag from the General Function Data Source in the Define Tag Field dialog.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

Thanks for the speedy response!

With a little playing around I got it to work. Is there anyway to change the way the scale from being represented in metric (1:96) to imperial (1/8"=1'-0")?

Another question, can the tag be associated with the VP from outside of the VP? It would be great if the drawing labels could be placed outside the VPs to make alignment easier when we have multiple drawings on one page (fewer double clicks...)

We haven't moved to VW 2021 yet, it'll happen soonish I think. We're hesitant to shift over to the newer versions of VW when we're in the middle of large project as the files sometimes go sideways. 

This was a huge help, thanks Nickolay.

-Dylan

15 hours ago, Dylan said:

Is there anyway to change the way the scale from being represented in metric (1:96) to imperial (1/8"=1'-0")?

- I think that this is possible only from the drawing label and not from the data tag.

15 hours ago, Dylan said:

Another question, can the tag be associated with the VP from outside of the VP?

- I do not think that this is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

You can associate a Data Tag to the VP even outside of it if you use the second tool mode. And the general functions Nikolay mentioned can report the information. However, they wouldn't provide you with the correct data as they extract the data of the Data Tag's container which would be the sheet layer and not the VP. That's why they work inside the VP. Maybe a better solution would be to have a way to move the Drawing Label from outside the VP but you'd have to create a VE for the VP team for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the insight @TDimov

If there was a way to move the drawing label from outside the VP that would be great as that's the only sticking point with the staff here at the office. I don't know what the acronym "VE" is, can you elaborate?

Really it's just a preference in how we use VW. I think we're just going to have to get use to putting them in the VP like most folks. 

Thanks again for the response Tdimov! Sorry it took a while to get back to you, it's been a busy time here.

-Dylan