Using VW Stake Objects for Uploading and Staking Out a Project

Pamela

We use a data collector for all of our inhouse surveys which allows me to simply download the file, import survey points into VW and connect the dots (so-to-speak) when generating new base maps for projects.

The challenge I now face is to reverse this process for staking out designs in the field with our survey station. I have gone through the manual and worked with a couple of drawings, but am still not able to do this yet.

I guess the first question becomes... Can I export points in a .txt file format for uploading to the data collector?

The next question... How do I export points for use in staking out a project? [Confused]

Help is greatly appreciated, I know how to do the process in autocad, but don't want to transfer every project from VW to ACAD just to stake it out.

Thanks, can you tell me more about Vector Scripts, still not sure I have them figured out. I am working on determining what format the data collector requires, I think .csv or .txt files will work.

Yes it is very possible to do stakeout with the data collector and much less time consuming than tradition methods.

What we typically do is survey a site, download that information, develop plans which include stake objects that contain northing, easting and elevation data for specific points on the plan. I would like to upload this to my data collector so I can do a stake out.

The data collector we have will do stakeouts, you supply it with the point files and you can select the specific point you are trying to stake out, say a corner of a patio, and it will turn to the correct direction creating a line between the data collector tripod station and the point in reference, the display then tells you how far back, right or left the rodman needs to go to locate that point, you then place you stake in the field and mark elevations as required for site grading. All without ever having to stretch a tape for distance offset measurements. That is the quick synopsis but I think you can get the idea.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

{

Here's a simple VectorScript that will write out survey data in northing, easting, elevation format. You can create a new "VectorScript" resource and cut and paste this into it, then double-click the script to run it:

}

PROCEDURE Export_Stake_Data;

VAR Filename:STRING;

PROCEDURE Write_Stake_Data(h:HANDLE);

VAR x,y,z:REAL;

BEGIN

GetSymLoc3D(h,x,y,z);

{The next line writes the data. It assumes northing, easting, elevation.

Swap the letters x and y for easting, northing, elevation}

Writeln(num2strf(y),chr(9),num2strf(x),chr(9),num2strf(z));

END;

BEGIN

PutFile('Write the Stake Export file:','Stake Export File.TXT',Filename);

ForEachObject(Write_Stake_Data,R IN ['Stake Object']);

Close(Filename);

END;

RUN(Export_Stake_Data);

• 1 year later...

I hate to revisit this topic since it is so old but not sure where else to go. At the time I started this string, I was working on exporting points for stakeouts. After unsuccessfully getting this to work with VW I dropped the issue, but it has once again reared it's head and I have decided I am going to deal with it this time around. With our upgrade to VW12 and some experimentation with scripts I am slightly more comfortable with them. (Would love to attend a training session or class on the topis if there is one out there?) But after several failed attempts to modifiy the above script I am begging for help. I need to export additonal stakeout data beyond x,y,z. I need point or id number and description as well for staking out a project in the field. Would someone be willing to help here as I still don't have a full understanding of scripts and the programming language they require. Any help is appreciated and thank you

Pamela

{This modified script will give you a choice of delimiters and add the id and description fields from the stake record}

PROCEDURE Export_Stake_Data;

CONST

kCVS = 1; {comma delimited}

kTAB = 2; {tabbed delimited}

kSPC = 3; {space delimitied}

kDEC = 3; {decimal precision}

VAR

Filename:STRING;

delim: INTEGER;

PROCEDURE Write_Stake_Data(stkObj:HANDLE);

VAR

x,y,z:REAL;

eastStr,northStr,elevStr,idNo,desc,lineStr: STRING;

BEGIN

GetSymLoc3D(stkObj,x,y,z);

eastStr:= Num2Str(kDEC,x);

northStr:= Num2Str(kDEC,y);

elevStr:= Num2Str(kDEC,z);

idNo:= GetRField(stkObj,'Stake Object','ID');

desc:= GetRField(stkObj,'Stake Object','Data');

{format a line for each stake object. You may need to change the order of the

values to match the survey equipment. Delimeters may be a string or a character

as shown for the tab = Chr(9) but you would need to know the Ascii number.}

CASE delim OF

kCVS:

lineStr:= Concat(idNo,',',desc,',',northStr,',',eastStr,',',elevStr);

kTAB:

lineStr:= Concat(idNo,Chr(9),desc,Chr(9),northStr,Chr(9),eastStr,Chr(9),elevStr);

kSPC:

lineStr:= Concat(idNo,' ',desc,' ',northStr,' ',eastStr,' ',elevStr);

OTHERWISE

lineStr:= 'DELIMETER NOT SPECIFIED';

END;

{The next line writes the data}

WriteLn(lineStr);

END;

BEGIN

{Assign the delim value from the constants at the top}

delim:= kTAB;

PutFile('Write the Stake Export file:','Stake Export File.TXT',Filename);