Tree Roots for Clash Detection

c.s

Question

Hello,

I'm working on a project that requires modelling of tree rootballs for clash detection purposes with Navisworks (it's a complex site with a lot of existing and proposed underground services). Having a Revit background, I know Revit has a tool specifically for this purpose, but can't seem to find anything similar in VW. Does anyone have any advice or workarounds for this issue?

Cheers!

5 answers to this question

VW does not really have Clash Detection.

If you model everything as solids (not symbols or groups) you could the do some form of Intersect Solids. If there is no resulting object then there is no clash. If there is a resulting solid then there is a clash.

If you is really a lot of items, then you probably need a script to go through and test each object against all the others.

Thanks for the response Pat. Unfortunately this doesn't really help as I am working with hundreds of trees and am not running the clash detection myself - the model is exported and then transferred into a shared Navisworks model for the clash detection to occur (all done by another consultant).

I really need a workaround that will allow for this.

If you don't do the clash detection yourself,

I think all you need is 3D Geometry.

I was once asked to prepare my geometry for clash detection

including Door Openings. So I had to model quarter cylinders

at each door.

I think in your case that would be something like hemispheres

below each tree. (The same diameter as the tree above the earth ?)

I hope they used Blocks for same existing tree type ?

@c.s ask the person doing the clash detection what type of object they need for their software.  You will probably want to conduct a test before deploying a solution.

In the past, I have modeled the rootball, requisite planting pit, and rootzone barriers as a solid objects on their own classes.

You can actually add the rootball and planting pit models to your 3D plant object, they export to IFC with the rootball intact, to make adding them quick...this should satisfy the requirement.  You will have to move the plants down in Z after adding the rootballs since the insertion point is relative to the bottom of the object.

Note, using a cylindrical rootball will result in a crazy number of polygons compared to using simpler shapes such as extruded rectangles or polygons.

2090012718_ScreenShot2020-09-22at9_45_00AM.thumb.png.e54d5d37344f1079098b4a84de863bdd.png

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 1