Question about trusses and addition to home

bentonboyd

I am building a screened porch as an addition to the back of my home (a single story home with truss roof system).  My roof appears to be built as a raised heel truss with a bottom chord overhang (and these overhangs protrude into my new screened porch area, which will also be built with trusses running the opposite direction. I know cutting trusses is a no-no, but am wondering if the trusses can be modified to have a butt end or stub end (with a wedge or blocking) then the extended gable could be removed such that the exterior wall of my home runs directly up without having to have fascia or a bump out to cover the end of the existing trusses?

@Wes Gardner thanks for the reply. When I started the project, I assumed that I would be cutting the tail/gables off, but unfortunately the end of the truss, including joining plate, extends past the wall. So I should have said that it is raised heel with truss extended past the exterior wall (including both the top and bottom chords). Think I'm stuck building the wall up around them.

9 hours ago, bentonboyd said:

@Wes Gardner thanks for the reply. When I started the project, I assumed that I would be cutting the tail/gables off, but unfortunately the end of the truss, including joining plate, extends past the wall. So I should have said that it is raised heel with truss extended past the exterior wall (including both the top and bottom chords). Think I'm stuck building the wall up around them.

We have revised trusses within an existing roof on several projects but only under the guidance of a structural engineer who understands wood.  (despite the presence of an iron ring, not all do)  From your description I believe we have made a similar change where we inserted blocking (and a number of somewhat expensive Simpson screws) between the top and bottom chord inline with the bearing wall and then were able to remove the overhang.  Some photos of the truss, a sketch or two and a consultation with a good structural engineer should answer your questions.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, bentonboyd said:

I am building a screened porch as an addition to the back of my home (a single story home with truss roof system).  My roof appears to be built as a raised heel truss with a bottom chord overhang (and these overhangs protrude into my new screened porch area, which will also be built with trusses running the opposite direction. I know cutting trusses is a no-no, but am wondering if the trusses can be modified to have a butt end or stub end (with a wedge or blocking) then the extended gable could be removed such that the exterior wall of my home runs directly up without having to have fascia or a bump out to cover the end of the existing trusses?

Are you saying the raised heels are outboard of the bearing wall?  

Modifying the trusses is possible with a prescribed repair of glue, gussets (plywood) and nails.  You will most likely need to devise the repair yourself on paper and have it P.E. stamped IMO.  

50374218498_908d298ea2.jpg

Raised heels outside wall.pdf

Edited by Inspectorjack