Section Viewport

aa.schump

I think this is basically (physically) correct this way.

If I don't want to see through both facades,

V1 :

I bring either in realistic interior Walls or fake Walls on a fake Class

V2 :

I overwrite my Elevation Viewports Glass Classes with a non translucent

fake Glass Material (reflective or not) with a color that fits my graphical

needs.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, aa.schump said:

@zoomer

Thanks for the reply. I dont mind the transparency beyond the section cut, but the bay window should not be see. I'm sure Im missing a button somewhere. 

Annotated image below. sc-01.thumb.jpg.b6e83f1c2158d2330430a9d8f43a5336.jpg

Could you send me the file privately?

Also, what version of Vectorworks are you seeing this in?

10 hours ago, aa.schump said:

@Matt Panzer

Using 2021. Sending the file your way.

@aa.schump,

Thanks for sending the file!

I can reproduce the problem on my computer and submitted a bug (VB-174294).

In the meantime, I would suggest doing one of the following:

1. Try using an OpenGL Render Background until this is fixed.  You can get some nice (and fast) results from OpenGL backgrounds for drawings like this.
    Tip:  Image Effects can also help a great deal in tweaking the brightness, contrast, and saturation.
  2. The other option is to Use a Renderworks background render mode with no foreground render.  Duplicate the viewport on top of itself and render that one in a Hidden Line background render mode.

The triggering issue was shadow generation, as the window geometry was supposed to be put in the collection of geometry only for creating shadows but was instead being put into the geometry to be rendered. This has been fixed and the fix will be in an upcoming service pack.

• Like 4

We are having a similar issue with our perspective Section Viewports that did not exist in VW2019 but has persisted through VW2020.   We have not yet tested in VW2021.   In our case we are creating perspective sections where the camera is not in the room but set back from the cut plane.  Although they are generating correctly in OpenGL the Renderworks engine is failing to recognize the section cut.    We have seen this when generating section SLVP's using the clipcube.  We have also seen this when generating section DLVP's and then creating a second viewport to the sheet from there.  In both cases the line work and OpenGL recognize the section cut but Renderworks is showing the full model as if the cut didn't exist.   We are getting the same behavior when rendering in the design layer itself.   

In the attached image you can see the hidden line foreground only, the Renderworks background only, and the combined image.   This works as expected in VW2019.

Any chance this is also fixed in VW2021?

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 2.50.31 PM.png

2 hours ago, aa.schump said:

Thanks, everyone! Happy to hear it will be addressed in a future service pack. In the meantime, I used @Matt Panzer's suggestion of two overlapping viewports and ended up with a nice little section!
Probably too much for the city drawings, but it will be great for the clients.

1859171992_ScreenShot2020-09-23at1_27_23PM.thumb.jpeg.1a65b1bb7497c9dd82c6593077d67773.jpeg1444732117_ScreenShot2020-09-23at1_27_11PM.thumb.jpeg.a6b1a78a17ac54e03d08fab389dd3cc5.jpeg

Beautifully done!!!

4 hours ago, Joe-SA said:

We are having a similar issue with our perspective Section Viewports that did not exist in VW2019 but has persisted through VW2020.   We have not yet tested in VW2021.   In our case we are creating perspective sections where the camera is not in the room but set back from the cut plane.  Although they are generating correctly in OpenGL the Renderworks engine is failing to recognize the section cut.    We have seen this when generating section SLVP's using the clipcube.  We have also seen this when generating section DLVP's and then creating a second viewport to the sheet from there.  In both cases the line work and OpenGL recognize the section cut but Renderworks is showing the full model as if the cut didn't exist.   We are getting the same behavior when rendering in the design layer itself.   

In the attached image you can see the hidden line foreground only, the Renderworks background only, and the combined image.   This works as expected in VW2019.

Any chance this is also fixed in VW2021?

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 2.50.31 PM.png

Can you send me the file.  I can try to see if this is related to the same problem.

19 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Can you send me the file.  I can try to see if this is related to the same problem.

@Joe-SA,

Thanks for sending the file.  Quite a doozie as far as 3D detail.

First, the issue you're seeing is not related to the bug I reported.  However, I think it may be simply a matter of updating the section viewports on the design layers before updating the sheet layer viewports looking at them.  Could you try that and let me know if that fixes the problem for you?

The DLVP's are always updated first because without doing so nothing shows in Hidden Line in the SLVP.   We are not seeing this impact the Renderworks result in the SLVP.   We are seeing the same behavior when rendering the DLVP directly from the design layer.   It doesn't appear to be an issue with SLVP's at all since it is happening before we even get to the sheet.    Renderworks is simply ignoring the cut.

19 minutes ago, Joe-SA said:

The DLVP's are always updated first because without doing so nothing shows in Hidden Line in the SLVP.   We are not seeing this impact the Renderworks result in the SLVP.   We are seeing the same behavior when rendering the DLVP directly from the design layer.   It doesn't appear to be an issue with SLVP's at all since it is happening before we even get to the sheet.    Renderworks is simply ignoring the cut.

OK.  I've been having some odd computer issues and wound up restarting my machine.

After doing that and opening the file in VW 2020 vs 2021:  I do see the problem in 2020 but do not see it in 2021.  If you do notice this happening in 2021, please let us know.