Poor performance with imported OBJ/STEP/IGES

DaveBB

Hmmh,

Hardware looks pretty ok.

I also have a RTX 2070.

You could check if you already extend your 16 GB of RAM with Task Manager

when you open such files. This would mean that Windows needs to cash

memory on your HDD/SSD drive, which would be much slower than RAM.

(And in case a quite easy and affordable upgrade)

I didn't notice any problems with my hardware in VW at all,

but I never had OBJ/STEP/IGES imports so far.

BTW

Which VW version are you using ?

Maybe you can post an example file ?

Stupid level of detail in this file.  The container consisted of 8300 NURBS surfaces. It contained the Nuts attaching the locking hardware on the doors. But each nut is represented by about 30 NURB Surfaces.

The corrugated top has each piece formed by a separate NURBS surface.

Unless you are detailing modifications to the object, this model has way too much detail for use in most drawings.

I have attached a version I downloaded/imported from somewhere else. Still pretty detailed but seems to run smoother than your version.

Cargo_Containers_20_&_40_High_Cube_v2020.vwx

As @Pat Stanford mentioned the file contains a lot of geometry which may bog down your computer.

I've opened the Solidworks file in BricsCAD and resaved it as a simplified STEP file, which is less than half the size of the IGES file you provided.

The Solidworks file was also opened in Rhino 7 WIP and then resaved as a Rhindo 3DM file.

Both imported into VW take a bit of time to load but once loaded VW is responsive without lag etc., at least on my system. Given your hardware specs it should work ok on your machine as well.

Attached are the STEP and Rhino files as well as the VW2021 file in which the STEP file has been imported so that you can try it out on your computer.

If you have an earlier version please let me know and I'll resave the VW file (or maybe someone else can do this for you in the meantime).

@DaveBB One more question, the TDP of you Intel processor is relatively low and has a 2.8 GHz core speed which is common for a laptop CPU as a desktop CPU is more likely to have a higher core speed, is your computer perhaps a laptop? If yes you may want to check if it is set to use the nVidia GPU or not. If not then that is most likely the major cause of the slowness and not necessarily the 3D model.

Container-20-Assem simplified (VW2021).zip Container-20-Assem simplified (STEP).zip Container-20-Assem from Rhino 3DM file.zip

Edited by Art V
1 hour ago, DaveBB said:

zoomer, I think that might be only in the Landmark or designer? I use Spotlight and I don't think i have access to those resources...

I have only VW Architect.

It was hard to find where it exactly sits though-

It was under Landscape Libraries.

I just searched for "Container" and I found them.