When wall breaks show wider than the object inserted in the wall

• 1 month later...

Actually this doesn't appear to work. It only works if you want to expand the wall break as opposed to reduce it.

Try this: make a symbol using a plugin door with a swing more than 90?, then put it in a wall and try adding loci to reduce the wall break. Doesn't work for me.

(Extra keywords: jamb window return)

• 1 year later...

I will not argue against the notion that I can be dense at times but what are the "certain circumstances" under which the wall cut is not correct? I have made several attempts at duplicating the problem as described but without success. Nor I have not come across the problem in the course of preparing my drawings.

Thanks. Mac OS10.4.9/VW 12.5.1

Bob

Christiaan, has your question been answered? I am assuming that the image you posted shows the behavior you DO NOT want.

If you still have the problem, I'm guessing that the door handle in the 2d view is creating the outer boundary limit of the symbol, and that the wall is being cut to that position. I've experienced this kind of problem in the past, and I've suggested on the wish list that a specific object type (say a locus with a particular class name) be created that would force the wall cut to occur at a desired location instead at the extreme limits of the symbol object. Note that in a door PIO with trim, there is a "wall simulation" that actually fills the area between the actual cut and the jamb.

That suggests a possible workaround you could play with. Create a door with trim on one side of 0 thickness. Note in the attached image that the selection handles show the actual extents of the symbol with 0-thickness trim, and that the PIO has filled in the wall up to the jambs:

Door%20width.jpg

Christiaan, thanks for the update - it prompted me to try out the locus suggestion, and I withdraw my wishlist request, it seems as though the program actually already behaves as I thought I wished it did! Thanks, Antone and Mike, for incredibly helpful advice.

I also note that if I convert a PIO to a symbol, it no longer carries with it the wall infill that it used to, so my understanding of the way things work seems to be a bit outdated.