VW Default and other Libraries

zoomer

Question

8 answers to this question

A better option might be to have three options during install:

1. Install only metric units libraries

2. Install only imperial units libraries

3. Install both

Those working in only one unit system could then install the libraries of their preference and those working with both unit systems could still install both.

That might be easier to maintain for VW than three separate installers for each option.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 3

Or “sticky” sorting by user? Vwx provides the complete library containIng all the objects in both systems, and the user can apply a curation or ordering via user editable sub folder. Maybe these folders even could load into upgrades as a pref or similar to workspace preservation.

Or is that thought just a saved search like the Mac OS smart folder?

Another way forward might be a Cursor switch floats into view when the complete library loads. Click for metric

Related: however it is implemented, this property should also apply to any of the smart tools with mixed units. eg the various fasteners, steel profiles, gears & springs, etc. 

-B

• Like 4

If Vw doesn’t want to provide separate installers, I’d be happy if I could just right-click on a folder in the Resource Manager and choose to hide specific folders.

Aside from not needing to see redundant Metric symbol folders, as an Architect user I have no need to see VSS Spotlight symbol folders in my Resource Manager. It would be great if I could just hide them. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, rDesign said:

If Vw doesn’t want to provide separate installers, I’d be happy if I could just right-click on a folder in the Resource Manager and choose to hide specific folders.

Aside from not needing to see redundant Metric symbol folders, as an Architect user I have no need to see VSS Spotlight symbol folders in my Resource Manager. It would be great if I could just hide them. 

Esp with an easy-to-find toggle to unfind those folders and a search which would differentiate between hidden and non and offer to search either/both?

• Like 3

Customized installers would be great to eliminate bloat.  My wishlist for installation choices:

1. Imperial/Metric/Both
  2. Legacy tools & commands - Include/Don't Include
  3. If not a Designer license, include/don't include features of other license types, for example:
    • Libraries
    • Workspaces
    • Plant Databases
    • Vision 

Another action that would clean up the interface and reduce bloat - Resource Manager Cloud Libraries, don't show resources for unlicensed products, or at least rework folders so all Spotlight resources can be collapsed in a single folder for Architect users, etc.

There are also a few straggling tools & commands from other versions that made it into the VW 2021 Architect BIM workspace editor that shouldn't be there.  The ones that I found so far are Tools: existing tree, foliage, grade. Commands: Hoist Origin.  I assume these are things that fell through the cracks.  

EDIT - I added a separate wishlist thread to deal with the specific issue of resource manager bloat

Edited by E|FA
Added RM thread link
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, E|FA said:

There are also a few straggling tools & commands from other versions that made it into the VW 2021 Architect BIM workspace editor that shouldn't be there.  The ones that I found so far are Tools: existing tree, foliage, grade. Commands: Hoist Origin.  I assume these are things that fell through the cracks.  

Hoist Origin definitely seems an odd one to be there. The other ones I can imagine possibly being useful to avoid having to switch back and forth between workspaces but yes, some housekeeping to remove unneeded items in workspaces would be welcome.

It's a bit like the stair tool in Landmark, it does contain stuff for stairs inside a building which you would likely not use in landscapes, but when used for civil structures in a landscape then it is nice to have them. Over here it was at some point hinted that Architect and Landscape could at some point be merged because of (increasing) overlap in functionality but I guess that never gained much ground. Spotlight is an entirely different field, but I could see the benefit of merging Architect and Landscape if we get the best tools of each included. After all there actually is an increasing overlap between these two and it would simplify things quite a bit on the development side I'd think which could be beneficial for the VW users as well.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Art V said:

The other ones I can imagine possibly being useful to avoid having to switch back and forth between workspaces

I believe the landscape tools I mentioned are not usable at all with an Architect license, so they are bloat.  In general, I agree about the large overlap between Architect & Landscape, although I'd just as soon not have to wade through irrigation & plant database items.  On the other hand, I think Landscape has a retaining wall and site grading features that would be very useful for architectural work.

• Like 4