Kevin C

VW2021 - Dimension tool broken completely

Question

Please help.

The dimension text disappears if the decimal precision's changed in the 'Document settings / Units / Dimensions' dialogue box. It doesn't just disappear, VW can no longer dimension - even if it is changed back.  Can this be looked at as a priority.

16 answers to this question

It might be a Mac only issue, I am not experiencing this on my Windows machine. Everything keeps working fine when changing dimension decimal precision (and changing back) through the dialogue box as described.

Is this really on VW2020? What service pack.

It is unlikely that this is a bug that has not been reported in software that has been out for a year. It is more likely to be some sort of file corruption.

1. Can you try in a new blank file.

2. Have you restarted VW?

3. Have you restarted the computer?

4. Try going to VW Preferences and click the Reset button at the bottom left. This will reset all your preferences to factory defaults but you won't have to reenter your serial number.

5. Come back and ask again if none of these helped.

I assumed it was for VW2021 as it would be unlikely it would be for VW2020 after being out for a year. The issue is not present on my system for both versions so if it is really in VW2020 then it is likely it is either a corruption or a computer/memory glitch as Pat mentioned.

Is this when using one of the default dimension styles of VW or when using a custom defined dimension style?

No this is VW2021. 

It seems that it might be a Mac issue. I have managed to sort it by pure chance.

It seems that the text size needs to be selected and then the dimensions appear. But unless this simple step is taken, the dimensions do not appear.

Was this on a design or a sheet layer? And what scale was used? It could be a scaling issue which is not a bug per se, though it shouldn't cause the dimension tool to stop working.

No. 

My practice has been using VW since 2009 - I know what a bug is.

Procedure:

Start VW2021

New drawing (Architect Metric template)

Draw something (I drew a wall)

Draw a dimension - it may work

Go to document settings/units and change the dimension tolerances (I picked 3 decimal places)

Create a dimension - there's no dimension text.

To fix, you need to go to Text/size and select a text size - it seems that the text size is not selected (I picked 12 points). That seems to permanently fix the problem.

I don't ave the architect template so used the landmark template and still couldn't reproduce it on my windows computer. A bug submit is probably the way to go to find out what is going (wr)on(g).

Edit: your reply showed up when posting, so you can ignore this reply if you want.

Edited by Art V

It appears that the Architect templates have managed to ship with a default text size of Zero.  With nothing selected in the document set a text size and it should work OK from there.

It is not a bug because the dimension tool is behaving as it should, i.e. when text size is set to 0 you get the issue you had with text not showing up.

Sending out a program with incorrect default settings in a template as is the case here is a screw-up.

Looks like the same problem with the "Stake Tool", if not text style has been defined in the document then no text displays, setting a text size then using the stake tool and text is displayed.

Thanks for reporting this Kevin!  We were able to narrow this down to something corrupting the text size preference (from plugins that span multiple layers like title block manager or markers).  It's been fixed for SP1.

• Like 2

I wonder is it related with constrained/unconstrained chain dimension not picking (in OIP) text style change made in dimension standard?

I am having this issue in both vw2020 and vw2021 versions.