VW 2021 Grid

axhake

Question

Just trying out the new Grid tool in VW 2021 and it is a vast improvement to what we had, thank you.

I have just recreated a grid from a previous project and noticed a small problem.

To demonstrate I have created a small grid as shown below.

Grids 1,2 are both vertical

Grid 5 is horizontal

Grids 3, 4, 6, 7 as can be seen are not vertical/horizontal.

The example image below is viewed in a Top/Plan view.

1823869810_Grid-Top-PlanView.thumb.jpg.af2c9c046847e0abb465221c83c2a80d.jpg

However if I then switch to a Top view, look at grid ( 3 ) the text is rotated.

506960761_Grid-TopView.thumb.jpg.70e6027422cf92db3039c505d2593077.jpg

In Top view grids text between 12 and 6 o-clock get rotated 180 deg... why?

809746321_Grid-views.thumb.jpg.01516fea03440a1fa58d7d0e75ff54d0.jpg

And if you add bubbles both ends

1501432816_Grid-TopView-bothends.thumb.jpg.21bbabe3177d39c11392ded6ff7d0cbe.jpg

Edited by axhake

14 answers to this question

I have been trying out the new grid line tool and really like it.  I have a question about how it is meant to be placed.  In the attached image I placed the grid line at the corners of the shape.  Then dragged the bubbles to align.  Then using Dimension Grid Sequence I get the attached result.  The dimensions are placed at the start point for each grid line rather than an offset from the bubble itself.  Also, the Add Elbow to Shoulder(s) seems to work from the start point and dividing the shoulder into equal thirds.  In my drawings this feature (which I really love!) would be better working a fixed distance from the grid bubble.  I can get them to align however the dragging and aligning of the vertex points starts to take away from the "this is cool" quality of the tool.

Grid line tool.jpg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, Mitchell (the other one) said:

I have been trying out the new grid line tool and really like it.  I have a question about how it is meant to be placed.  In the attached image I placed the grid line at the corners of the shape.  Then dragged the bubbles to align.  Then using Dimension Grid Sequence I get the attached result.  The dimensions are placed at the start point for each grid line rather than an offset from the bubble itself.  Also, the Add Elbow to Shoulder(s) seems to work from the start point and dividing the shoulder into equal thirds.  In my drawings this feature (which I really love!) would be better working a fixed distance from the grid bubble.  I can get them to align however the dragging and aligning of the vertex points starts to take away from the "this is cool" quality of the tool.

Grid line tool.jpg

The dimensions being placed at the start/end points are by design.  The objects should be placed with that in mind (the start/ends should not be at the actual model geometry).  The shoulder control point reshape behavior was also implemented to address a variety of cases without adding too much complexity.  However, we can look into ways to improve this in the future.  Also keep in mind that you can select multiple Grid Lines and reshape them or their shoulders at the same time.

38 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

The dimensions being placed at the start/end points are by design.  The objects should be placed with that in mind (the start/ends should not be at the actual model geometry).  The shoulder control point reshape behavior was also implemented to address a variety of cases without adding too much complexity.  However, we can look into ways to improve this in the future.  Also keep in mind that you can select multiple Grid Lines and reshape them or their shoulders at the same time.

Thanks - just figuring out what might be the best workflow for the grid lines.  Rather than adjusting a number of vertex points I created a temporary rectangle and then aligned the grid lines with each corner (thank you smart cursor) on the temporary rectangle.  All grid bubbles, dimensions and shoulder elbows now align.  The OCD in me is now content.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 12.45.38 PM.jpg

• Like 3