Pat Stanford

A "Super Short" course in Worksheet Scripts

Thanks a lot @Pat Stanford I can almost understand what you are writing 

My first test did not go well, VW got unresponsive, but I will try more later today and report back. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

I gave this a try as well, because we have a project with different apartement units in symbols. Would be really handy to calculate the area like this. But like you I can't make it work. Vectorworks becomes unresponsive. Just duplicating the symbols inside the example file works, but adding new symbols causes issues.

• Like 1

I think the issue is with symbols that contain more than just the space. I created a new file with only spaces in symbols and it worked.🤔

Probably a bug in my code. I  did not test very well. I will test tonight on a symbol with objects other than Spaces. My guess is that I never move to the Next Object if the object is not a Space.

Watch this space for more information.

• Like 2

OK. So you see, I found the problem. I mean. Yeah. I mean. Right. Ok. I meant to do that. I meant to do that as part of the course. Of course I did. I wanted to make a mistake and see if you are learning enough to figure it out. Right. You believe me right? Really, you really believe me, right??

Sorry about that just a little bit of insecurity bubbling up.

I messed up in the script.

I guess I am going to have to do the course on Begins and Ends after all. But not tonight. I got the NextObject statement one line too high. That put it inside the loop that checks if the object is a Space. So if the object in the loop was not a Space, the script Never went onto the next object and just kept checking the first object over and over and over and over. This is what is called in programming an Infinite Loop. And the only way to break out was what you did and quit VW.

Here is the revised version of the program. I have tested it with a symbol with both spaces, other PIOS and non-PIO objects. You can probably still break it as it still doesn't do any error checking, but it should not lock up VW now.

Procedure AreaOfSpacesInSymbols;
{September 15, 2020}
{©2020 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{No Warranty Expressed of Implied. Use at your own risk.}
{Here be Monsters. Do not operate script under influence of alcohol.}

Var	H1: Handle;			{Handle to Identify the Object referenced in the database sub-row.}
	TotalArea: Real;    {A global variable to store the sum of the areas of the spaces.}

Procedure Execute(Hd1:Handle);  {Execute is the name of the handling procedure. Hd1 is the object passed}
	                                {to the Execute Procedure. In this case, the object referenced in the}
									{database subrow.}
		Var Hd2, Hd3:Handle;		{Hd2 & Hd3 are handles to intermediate objects needed to get the final}
									{object we need.}

Begin
			TotalArea :=0;			{Set Total Area to zero so it does not carry over from a previous execution.}
			Hd2:=FInSymDef(GetObject(GetSymName(Hd1)));		{Start at the inside of the parens and work out.}
															{GetSymName returns the Symbol Name of the object in the}
															{database subrow. Database criteria should ensure that}
															{only symbols are passed to this script.}
															{GetObject returns a handle to the object whose name is}
															{passed to it. In this case the name of the symbol in the}
															{database subrow.}
															{FInSymDef returns a handle to the first object in the}
															{symbol definition. From there we will step through each}
															{object in the symbol definition.}
			While Hd2<>Nil do		{Since Hd2 has a handle as long as that handle points to an object it will not}
									{be Nil (or empty). When we run out of object Hd2 will return a Nil value and}
									{we will know that we have processed all of the objects in the symbol definition.}
				Begin				{Trust me about where we need begins and ends. That is a bigger subject that I}
									{can take on with this demo tonight.}
					If GetTypeN(Hd2)=86 then 	{GetTypeN takes a handle and returns the type of object. A type of 86 is}
												{a Plug-In Object (PIO). Since Spaces are PIOs, if the type is not 86}
												{we know it can't be a space.}
						Begin
							Hd3:=GetParametricRecord(Hd2);						{But since there are other types of PIOs}
																				{we need to do more checking. The}
																				{Parametric Record of a PIO has the name}
																				{of the PIO. So we get a handle (Hd3) to}
																				{the Parametric Record of the PIO (Hd2)}
							If ((Hd3 <> Nil) & (GetName(Hd3)='Space')) then	{Hd3 <> (not equal) to Nil means that the}
																			{object did have a parametric record. We also}
																			{test that the object is a Space by making sure}
																			{the name of the parmetric record [GetName(Hd3)}
																			{is equal to a string of 'Space'. The single}
																			{quotes around Space make it a "String Literal"}
																			{rather than a variable.}

Begin				{again trust me on the Begin/End pairs. Just know they must be pairs}
									TotalArea := TotalArea + Str2Num(GetRField(Hd2,'Space','Area'));	{See comment below}
														{GetRField returns the value of the field 'Area' of }
														{the Record 'Space' of the object pointed to by Hd2}
														{Since all data in records is stored as strings we have to}
														{convert the string to a number so we can add us the areas.}
														{Str2Num takes the string value and return a decimal [Real] number.}
														{We add the value from this space to the value that was previously}
														{stored in the variable TotalArea and store this new value back}
														{into the variable TotalArea. Since we set TotalArea to zero}
														{at the beginning of the script. end up with the area for the}
														{spaces just in the one symbol pointed to in the subrow.}
								End;
						End;

Hd2:=NextObj(Hd2);			{This is the bug fix. This line moved ahead of the End}
												{statement that is now below it.  Sorry about that.}
												{Once we have finished with the first obect in the symbol we}
												{store the handle of the NextObject after Hd2 in the symbol }
												{into the varibale Hd2 and then loop back to the top of the}
												{While loop. At the top if Hd2 has become Nil, meaning that we}
												{have looked at all the objects in the symbol definition, we stop}
												{and return to the main program.}

End;
		End;

Begin
	H1:=WSScript_GetObject;				{WSScript_GetObject returns a handle to the object in the database}
										{subrow. If a cell contains multiple objects because it has been}
										{SUMmarized in the worksheet, the script will be run once for each}
										{object as if the row was not SUMarized but will return the total}
										{value for each run if the returned value is a number.}
	Execute(H1);						{Pass the value of the handle of the object in the subrow, in this case}
										{a symbol to the Procedure Execute.}
	WSScript_SetResReal(TotalArea);		{WSScript_SetResReal [Set Result Real] causes the value to be }
										{displayed in the WS cell to be a number, in this case the value}
										{of the variable TotalArea that we calculated above.}
End;		{and yet another End to match a Begin. Also just trust me on the Procedure line at the top}
			{and the Run line at the bottom. They just have to be there.}

Run(AreaOfSpacesInSymbols);	

• Like 3

Works like a charm for me! You are the man @PatStanford! Thanks a ton! And thanks for keeping it entertaining as well 😄 Sometimes scripting looks like magic, but you make it very easy to understand.

6 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

OK. So you see, I found the problem. I mean. Yeah. I mean. Right. Ok. I meant to do that. I meant to do that as part of the course. Of course I did. I wanted to make a mistake and see if you are learning enough to figure it out. Right. You believe me right? Really, you really believe me, right??

Haha I was wondering if it was the case. However I tried to analyze the code but could not see what was wrong or how to improve it. Hopefully this tread can help more people looking for similar solutions. Thanks a lot @Pat Stanford