Hoist Tools / Slings for Tyler GT

Mark Aceto

@Matt Panzer @JimWoodward I'm searching for the sling symbol that was featured in the new Cable Tools video. The truss appears to be Tyler GT but could be one of the other Tyler flavors. As GT is arguably the most common truss used in concerts, tours, festivals... is there a sling symbol for it? I included as much info as I could find on my own in the screenshot below.

BTW this is looking SUPER SLICK, like I've always dreamt, so huge thanks to the VW team! Checking a box for schematic view (show pick-up symbol) is the cherry on top!

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.37.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 8.26.12 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, JustinVH said:

@Mark Aceto What is the width of the Tyler GT?  Could the placement of the appropriate symbol in the Pickups folder be altered to work?  I know it is not a sling but at least it is a pickup symbol.

24" W x 14" H

The 3D object is a generic solid, so I can’t edit it. I would have to model a whole new one.

I'm really eager to share on social how all of these departments / objects integrate with and attached to each other but I know the first round of comments will all be, "Yeah, that's great but what about GT / HUD?"

EDIT: sorry, that got lost in translation. You were speaking specifically about the alu pickups. Got it.

Edited by Mark Aceto

Screenshot attached of WIP. I made the truss silver, and the mover clamps black, so detail could be visible with lights attached.

I know VW engineering is working on the hoist bug but I narrowed it down to adding the pickup symbol. That's what causes the flipped (up) motor to bump up above the top of the chain to a Z height that's actually higher than the real Z / high hook height.

Btw the file size is currently at 20M (including the roof system) with all caching disabled. Very happy about that. I could knock it down to 15MB if I purged everything I'm playing around with that isn't pictured.

Very excited to share this!

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 4.31.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 5.34.59 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1

BTW one of the reasons I decided on an outdoor concert with a tower structure to test drive VW21 is because lining up the spanners and motors with panel points on the roof / grid, and then following that vector down to where the motors will attach to the truss, and then knowing where the slings will get in the way of the lights (especially when the heads move) that the LD has so carefully spaced along the LX position, where those lights will actually clamp to the truss... 

I cannot overemphasize how valuable it is to know about these attachments and alignments before the gear gets prepped in the shop. I can't think of a show like this where we didn't have to waste valuable time and money making corrections onsite because we just roughed it in with imaginary slings and attachments. I mean 3 or 4 years ago, we had to model our own HUD from the manufacturer, and now GT is a stock symbol.

Other notes:

• I flipped the truss for the cable bridge and the video truss (works like a centerline), and there were no issues
    • Just make sure you roll it 180deg in the OIP instead of flipping the symbol
  • Because of the insertion point, lighting devices need to be bumped up 12" to grab the center truss chord of GT (or any HUD)
    • Just make sure you bump the Z field in the OIP, and all of the BW magic will still work
  • It's super cool and efficient that hook to motor to hook to shackle to sling to truss to light are all one integrated system that move together when changing trim height

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 4.29.54 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/18/2020 at 7:57 PM, JustinVH said:

@MattG Here is a file.  Please note that the weight may not be exactly correct.  If you want to change it note that weight is in grams and offset length is in mm.

Truss Sling HUD.vwx

@JustinVH Would it be possible to share a version of that file (or a general default sling file), where the sling isn't a generic solid, so i can use that as a foundation to model my own pick-up symbol?

That would be awesome 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Brent.A said:

Curious, based on these screenshots and the requests for specific and accurate dimensions....

Is it common practice to engage all 4 chords on prerig truss with no bracing on the bottom (or top if inverted) face?

You can wrap HUD at the ends without a brace. Anywhere else requires a brace, and placement also depends on whether it's flipped or not. 

Engineering reports for reference:

I don't have a model of the brace because Tyler hasn't provided a DWG yet: https://tylertruss.com/accessories/gt-plus/

It's definitely at the top of my content request list though 😄

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • 2 years later...
On 9/20/2020 at 7:39 PM, Mark Aceto said:

Screenshot attached of WIP. I made the truss silver, and the mover clamps black, so detail could be visible with lights attached.

I know VW engineering is working on the hoist bug but I narrowed it down to adding the pickup symbol. That's what causes the flipped (up) motor to bump up above the top of the chain to a Z height that's actually higher than the real Z / high hook height.

Btw the file size is currently at 20M (including the roof system) with all caching disabled. Very happy about that. I could knock it down to 15MB if I purged everything I'm playing around with that isn't pictured.

Very excited to share this!

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 4.31.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 5.34.59 PM.png

which rendering mode did you use for that? 

2 minutes ago, Jayme McColgan said:

the one of the outdoor stage with the white background? thats shaded?! 

Yup. I tweak the Shaded Options to make it look good. At the time, with OpenGL, I always set the crease angle to 0. The equivalent crease angle in Shaded would be 180 (I don't believe 0 is an option anymore but it logically accomplishes the same thing).

• Like 1