Can line type be changed on connections?

Rob Sherman

I am wondering if it is possible to change individual connection lines to different line types.(I.E.: Solid, dashed, dotted)

My company works predominately in installations and we have to deal with a mixture of existing wiring, client provided cables and bulk cable that has ends added. We use line types to let the install team know what is existing/provided versus what we will be adding.

Our existing standard has been:

image.thumb.png.9e431140b8e333fdd1104a2b01edaf64.png

I see that I can differentiate linetype and color by signal type but when I try and do individual cables it doesn't work.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Rob Sherman,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to set line style for cables, independent of their signal. Is that correct?

If so, I do not think that there is a way to do this. Circuits take the line style of their signal classes and circuits of the same signal will look the same.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Rob Sherman

In 2021 you can change circuit attributes in the Attributes Palette from Class Style to whatever you like. So it will be easier to support your workflow. Since you have some particular standards in your company I suggest you look into creating some one-line scripts in a palette so you can easily assign circuits as you wish.

Conrad

• Like 2

It's great to hear about the change in 2021. We haven't migrated yet but I look forward to playing with it.

Our solution was to edit the signal list to include all the signals we use in our standard with both a regular and POE version for network signals. DANTEP, DANTES, DANTEPP(DANTE PRIMARY POE), ETC.

In the classes I then set our standard colors and a dashed for POE.

For existing lines we are just changing the cable type to say "EXISTING", instead of doing a dotted line.

Rob