Signal Types and Connector Types

mark4

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @mark4,

The files that you find in the user folder (the one you specified) are containing only user made changes. It seems like you have not made any changes to the signals/connectors and that is why you do not have these files there. You can find the application files in the same sub folders, but starting from your app folder, instead of the (year) folder. Once you find these files, copy them in your user folder and then you can modify them.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could someone clarify how these files work collectively...

If you have the default (as installed) files, user edited files in the user folder AND the workgroup file.

Does a single file take precedence? Are they merged and duplicates removed

I notice the connector types (and the signal types) are not in alphabetical order - So I'm going to sort that shortly, but wanted to know how VW opens and uploads the data into ConnectCAD.

I'd also echo a previous poster's comments that having to restart VW for the changes to be implemented is a big no-no :-(. Being able to edit these txt files from within VW would be much cleaner too!

Thanks,

Ross

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Ross McLee,

In VW2021, we first read the default data line by line and load it. Then we read the workgroup data and if we find any matches from the default we override it with the workgroup data. And finally, we read the user folder and override any matches from the already loaded data.

As for the editing and restarting of VW to load the updated files, as of VW 2021 you can use the Refresh... button in the ConnectCAD settings to reload the files directly from VW, without the need of restart. This is a temporary workaround for this problem and in the future we will look for a better solution to this. 🙂

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1