Data Tag Displays the wrong units

Gualterino

Question

My issue is that I created a Data tag, to display the size of a concrete beam. The tag was set to show the Major breath and depth. My document units are set to feet but the data tag is displaying everything in millimeters.

This is what I used in the Tag "#StructuralMember#.#D#X#StructuralMember#.#B#". How can I get it to display 3' instead of 914.40000?

1 answer to this question

You can't.

The the Major and Minor Width/Depth fields are stored in the Plug-In Object (PIO) record as text. The data tag can only display the data it has. Since it does not have a numeric version of the field, it does not know how to convert it to the current document units.

Obviously the values are in the program as numbers somewhere as the Object Info Palette (OIP) displays the values in the current document units.

I hope someone else can offer you a reasonable work around. The only one I can think of is a script that will attach a custom record with the values of the Width/Depth as numbers and then have the Data Tag access that record/field data.

Currently Data Tags don't have the ability to convert a string into a number that are available in worksheets and scripts.

You should probably go to the Wishlist forum and add two wishes. One to have the values of all PIOs that are stored as Static Text also be available in the PIO Parameter Record in a numeric format also. Two to give Data Tags the ability to do basic math and to convert text strings into numeric formats.

Sorry.