Texture Mapping for Slab Objects

Tom W.

Question

20 answers to this question

@Matt Panzer - Do you know if there's a technical reason as to why Slabs don't have any texture controls in the Render tab? (I figure you're the go-to person for architecture-related tools but let us know if there's someone else who would be better to ask). Also @Dave Donley since I know you're involved in texture-related conversations in the beta forum.

To me it makes sense that certain PIOs wouldn't work with the Attribute Mapping tool, for example, since PIOs are often composed of multiple objects, which would mean mapping types such as 'Plane' wouldn't be well-suited... but for all of these PIOs it would seem that at least having the ability to control the texture's scale and rotation in the Render tab is a necessity.

I can submit a VE, but I figured I'd ask about the current implementation so that we have more context as to why it is the way it is. (Or perhaps there's already work happening on this front so another VE isn't needed?)

Edit: Now that I think about, this might be getting into the rabbit hole of texturing any type of PIO. I just realized that Windows and Doors have the same Render tab as Slabs, for example...

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

@Matt Panzer - Do you know if there's a technical reason as to why Slabs don't have any texture controls in the Render tab? (I figure you're the go-to person for architecture-related tools but let us know if there's someone else who would be better to ask). Also @Dave Donley since I know you're involved in texture-related conversations in the beta forum.

Hi Andy,

@Dave Donley may correct me on this but I don't think there's a technical reason for this.

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

I've added for avoidance of doubt: VE-101535 (I included Columns too)

I find sometimes we can talk about these things thinking they've been formally added to the system but they haven't.

A quick search shows we had a number of requests for the Slab but not the Column.

Thank you for adding that.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, avro-designs said:

Really surprising that this is massive inconsistency is still broken as of March 2023...

It would be really nice to have UV maps Accessible/Editable like with almost all other 3D programs.

Even if 99% of the time no one even looks at them, and they are very confusing and hard to conceptualize, they are very important for 'emergency' texture fixing.

• Like 2

If you're going to be a 3D program, basic UV mapping for ALL objects is a fundamental principle. This is a head-smacking-the-wall level of omission here.

I got here because you can't make a 2D extrusion and have it show up as a filled object in plan unless you make it a symbol and add 2D representation (who has time for all that?). Ok, fine let's do a slab instead. Whoops, you can't do UV on it for your 3D renderings. Go back to start. You're being asked to run around the block to get to the front door. Why is this so complicated? 

4 minutes ago, avro-designs said:

you can't make a 2D extrusion and have it show up as a filled object in plan unless you make it a symbol and add 2D representation

Other (quicker) options for 2D solidity are to use a Floor object or convert it into an Auto-Hybrid. Plus you can rotate the texture on a Slab if it's rendered by Object. The problem is when using Slabs architecturally - with Components - THEN you can't rotate the texture, which is a massive drawback + really limiting

• Like 1