Can undo after run Section Solid command?

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

@michaelk why are we both on the forum on a lovely Friday evening?

If you only need to make minor changes, you can also use the Edit Solids (same shortcut as Edit Group or Edit Symbol) to go back one step and be able to change the source geometry. When you exit the solid it will recalculate based on the changes.

Hi @Pat Stanford @michaelk

1/ when use Group object, they will not work with Section Solid. It work with Add Solid.

2/ When I run Edit Solid. Then Edit Solid  again to copy other 3 cubes. This is result:

image.thumb.png.665881b3108cdac773a20aa8d607f80b.png

image.thumb.png.c87777fed5fe7674bc307c442739225e.png

They did not cut with new 3 cube. what I should do next?

Edited by Travis.Designer

My guess would be that its related to stacking order since that's how the solids commands determine what the cutting object is when there are multiple objects. Maybe select the sectioning surface in the edit mode and choose Send to Front.

If you post an example file we may be able to make other suggestions.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
On 9/12/2020 at 11:02 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

The 3 cubes you added will not cut if its a Solid Addition. I would ungroup twice to get back to where you started and perform a solid section again.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I copy rectange, It did not work 

image.thumb.png.986d8407d9f5502590a8c8dd095e7266.png

image.thumb.png.0999c28b0f99778e6cf40a1882191532.png

image.thumb.png.25fffb5d64c9261ed809e0526c404e41.png

Sorry, I could not share file. It' simple cubes and NURBS surface, you could build for testing.

There are three solutions to your issue. Here's a file demonstrating them both.

(A) is a replica of your issue using a Solid Section.

(B) is a corrected version where I edited the Solid Section and ran the Add Solids command on the three rectangles.

(C) is a corrected version where I edited the extruded rectangle and duplicated the rectangles within the original extrude.

(D) is a version where I created the original object using a Solid Subtraction instead of a Solid Section.

The Solid Section is being confused by the stacking order after you add your duplicates. I'm not sure if this is a limitation or a bug ( @JuanP do you know?). If I were creating this shape myself I would use a Solid Subtraction.

Kevin

1527171049_ScreenShot2020-09-14at9_40_07AM.thumb.png.df2e4686ce8874832fd1a0d862d20d53.png

Solid Subtraction vs Solid Section.vwx

• Like 4
On 9/14/2020 at 11:45 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

There are three solutions to your issue. Here's a file demonstrating them both.

(A) is a replica of your issue using a Solid Section.

(B) is a corrected version where I edited the Solid Section and ran the Add Solids command on the three rectangles.

(C) is a corrected version where I edited the extruded rectangle and duplicated the rectangles within the original extrude.

(D) is a version where I created the original object using a Solid Subtraction instead of a Solid Section.

The Solid Section is being confused by the stacking order after you add your duplicates. I'm not sure if this is a limitation or a bug ( @JuanP do you know?). If I were creating this shape myself I would use a Solid Subtraction.

Kevin

1527171049_ScreenShot2020-09-14at9_40_07AM.thumb.png.df2e4686ce8874832fd1a0d862d20d53.png

Solid Subtraction vs Solid Section.vwx 176.18 kB · 0 downloads

Thank Kevin, I learn a lot from you.

• Like 1