Interesting outcome with Saved views and layers VW 2020

HEengineering

Question

I have run into this issue time and time again.  

Im not sure if its as designed or Im missing something. If I open the organization pallets to create saved views for each of my sheets all at once WITHOUT exiting the organization pallet I have this issue where a layer that I originally set to be "INVISIBLE" magically jumps over to "DON'T SAVE", which then consequently shows up in my saved view(even more confusing is if the layer designation is set to "DON'T SAVE" why the heck is it visible in the view at all! Let alone changing to a visibility I didn't ask it to change to? Its often the next reference files first layer that joins the saved view of the previous set View.

Now here is the twist.  If I create 1 view then exit the dialog the issue does not arise.  If I however go on to create several saved views without existing the Organization window  (we use saved views as sheets our our CD package) then each view after that often has several random layers again activated on the saved view that should not be? (see screenshot)

Am I to assume that I cannot create several views at once without existing each time before creating the next view? This really just seems like a lot of extra clicks. I will additional state that these are reference files in which only reference a layer or 2 not all layers typically.

In the image below I did not set T-1 4G as DONT SAVE.  I set it to be invisible. Yet here we are when I come back to "EDIT VIEW"

I will also go on to say this only happens in the ORGANIZATIONAL pallet and I do not encounter this in the NAVIGATION PALLET workflow.  Is this a bug or a workflow issue or a setting Im missing?

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 8.03.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.12.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.22.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.24.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.24.32 AM.png

Edited by HEengineering

1 answer to this question

Hi @HEengineering, It may be due to my sleep-deprivation brain-fog, but it took time to interpret the issue you're experiencing here. Perhaps a screen recording would have elicit more responses. Nevertheless; 

If this behaviour occurs in a new, blank document - using the default file supplied by Vectorworks, not a template of your own - then the cause will either be due to: 

• A corruption in your Vectorworks User Folder: 
    1. Quit Vectorworks, move or rename your current Vectorworks User Folder. 
    2. Reopen Vectorworks and re-test. 
  • A corruption in your Vectorworks installation: 
    1. Quit Vectorworks. 
    2. Open Vectorworks 20XX Updater app (Vectorworks 2019 and later). 
    3. In the Advanced menu, run the REPAIR option. 
      • If the issue persists after this a clean installation might make the difference, but I'd say probably not. 
  • A Vectorworks bug
    • Submit it using the 'BUG SUBMIT' link at the bottom of this page. 

If it does not occur in a new, blank document, then I'd say your file contains 'far out objects' and/or a corruption. - If other files with this problem are all derived from the same template, then you'll need to account for these possibilities in that too. See this post for a guide on verifying and correcting the very common problem of far out objects