Changing Z value for Locus?

ztijnf

Question

Hi,

I am working on some Bleachers and I ran into a problem. The only snappoint that would work is in my symbol at Z=20cm as you can see in the picture. So, if I put this bleacher in the venue it will be 20cm below Z= 0, even though it says Z=0. 

Is it possible to use this snappoint and tell Vectorworks to put it higher relative to the Z value? 

I realize my explanation is a bit vague but I don't know how to properly explain it otherwise. Kv4CLFv.png

6 answers to this question

Guest Alex Sagatov

Hello @ztijnf,

Based on your description, it sounds like the geometry inside of your symbol is not at the correct Z height. If you go to your resource manager or right click and choose to edit the symbol in the design layer, you will likely notice the geometry is sitting below the 0 point. You will want to move the geometry up in the 3D component of the symbol so that it rests on Z=0. See my image below.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 9.16.48 AM.png

If the issue is that you are unable to snap to 0 when editing the symbol's component, you can double click on the 3D locus tool found in the 3D modeling toolset, and set it to insert at a Z=0. You should then be able to snap the rest of your geometry to that.

@Alex Sagatov, thanks for your reply! 

It doesn't totally answer my question though. (My explanation isn't great either, agreed) 

My question is if I set the insertion point of the symbol at the corner of the wooden floor as you can see in the picture, would it be possible for this not to insert as Z=0? But for example as Z=20cm? 

Thanks for the help! 

Guest Alex Sagatov

I might be misunderstanding again, but the original answer I believe still answers the question. If you use the "Next Mouse Click" option when creating a symbol, it makes that point the 0,0,0 point inside of the symbol 3D component. If you want the bottom of the bleacher to start at 0 instead of -20cm, you would need to edit the 3D component and move everything up 20cm Z. But again, I might still be misunderstanding 🙂

Yes and no.

Whatever is at the 0,0,0 "local coordinates" of the symbol definition will insert into the drawing at the symbol instance insertion point.

You can move the symbol insertion point so rather than being at Z=0 the insertion point is located at Z=20.

Alternatively you could let it insert at Z=0 and then go to an elevation view and move the object up by 20 mm

You will have to decide if it is better to edit the symbol definition or to move the symbol instance insertion point to get what you need in your drawing.

HTH.