Existing Tree Tool - Relocated Tree Strategy

Jeff Prince

Question

Wouldn't it be nice if the existing tree tool allowed relocated trees to have different position data?

Meaning, when I place the tree as existing it gets numbered.  I think of this as its unique serial number for the life of the project.  As the project matures, the fate of that tree changes.  Maybe it remains in place or gets removed, the tool works fine in this regard.

But what if the tree is to be relocated?

The Vectorworks recommended strategy found in the help menu is to copy the tree, turn off the autonumbering, place the copied tree and manually renumber it...  That introduces potential error and coordination issues  into the process.  Using this method, a tree that dies in the nursery could be cursed to roam the planting plans as a ghost 🙂  Worse yet, human error jacking up things by renumbering incorrectly.

If that numbered tree could have positional data for it's various positions during a project, it would be great.  One object to show where it was, where it sits in the salvage nursery, and where it ends up in the final design.

thoughts?

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 2

3 answers to this question

duplicating an existing tree automatically changes the tree number ?

could you relabel the tree with the original number and add a letter or other label to indicate the relocation ? 
I do not have tree relocations as they are rarely successful and the cost of properly transplanting is prohibiting (prep, transplant, maintenance) 

11 hours ago, bob cleaver said:

duplicating an existing tree automatically changes the tree number ?

could you relabel the tree with the original number and add a letter or other label to indicate the relocation ? 
I do not have tree relocations as they are rarely successful and the cost of properly transplanting is prohibiting (prep, transplant, maintenance) 

Yes, and the recommended workflow runs counter to the idea of data should be in one place only.

Tree salvage and relocation is a pretty common thing on my projects.  It is the predominant method of procuring large specimen desert trees, cacti, palms, and citrus as well.

Yes, it can be quite expensive.

Here's a quick video from one of my projects.  Many desert trees and saguaros come from the numerous infrastructure and commercial developments occurring around the region.  In Arizona these plants are required to be salvaged in most cases, creating commercial availability of mature slow growing plants in the process.  I wish I shot the tree spading of a bunch of mature citrus a while back.  So many citrus groves are being demolished for housing development, it's nice to see them live on in a new place.  It's pretty amazing to watch a 30' tall tangelo get plucked from the ground and relocated on a project within hours.  I need to grab a few for my house, it would be great to have a mature navel orange or tangelo 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1