Stair Tool v12

I have to agree with those that contend the classing of the door swing is counter-intuitive. Years of practice aside, there has got to be a better solution. My pet peeve is that the new stair tool is glitchy, unstable and the dialog menu slow as hell. Improvements in configurations and customization of the stairs has cost us speed and stability. Time to put the code on a diet. The break line or lack thereof is also silly.

I thought I'd post a quirk with the stair tool since the title of this thread is 'Stair Tool v12' (not that I helped much by keeping it on topic).

When setting up a stair on layer 'x' then cutting and pasting to later 'y' for reference purposes, a dialogue pops up telling me that the floo-to-floor measurements isn't going to work. That's understandable. But when I undo to go back to where I'd originally created the stair and try to edit the settings, I get a VectorScript error that then renders the stair permenantly un-editable. Anyone else seeing this?

Saving, closing and re-opening the file does not repair the issue. However, shutting down VW and re-opening the file does 'revive' the stair.

[ 03-16-2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Runtime Error ]

• 1 month later...

Regarding the discussions about the door PIO and issues with door swings on RCP's, you might consider the WinDoor plug-in from OzCad (http://www.ozcad.com.au). There are 14 classes available for doors and windows with this plug-in including a "ceiling" class which shows the ceiling view of a door opening location (no trim) plus a grey door swing. Considering the number of classes assigned to the PIO, it is likely that one can find a combination that works for plans and/or RCP's.

This plug-in also renders correctly without the big border or the misaligned texture, and there are 4 panel sliding doors as well as corner windows.

There is a free demo available for download so you can try before you buy. Considering one post regarding charging more for a fully tested VectorWorks, I agree, but in the meantime one option is to pay for work-arounds for the bugs and WinDoor seems to be one of those work-arounds. Until now, I have not been able to use VW12 because of the rendering bug, but now that I am using WinDoor, I am finding that VW12 is indeed incredible (bugs aside).

I thought I'd post a quirk with the stair tool since the title of this thread is 'Stair Tool v12' (not that I helped much by keeping it on topic).

When setting up a stair on layer 'x' then cutting and pasting to later 'y' for reference purposes, a dialogue pops up telling me that the floo-to-floor measurements isn't going to work. That's understandable. But when I undo to go back to where I'd originally created the stair and try to edit the settings, I get a VectorScript error that then renders the stair permenantly un-editable. Anyone else seeing this?

Saving, closing and re-opening the file does not repair the issue. However, shutting down VW and re-opening the file does 'revive' the stair.

<small>[ 03-16-2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Runtime Error ]</small>

Runtime Error,

I just got the same problem today with stairs across floors/layers. Has anyone else seen it/reported it?

MAC OSX 10.4.6, 2 GHz Dual G5 Vectorworks 12.0.1

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Runtime and MightyQuinn, what you have to understand about the stair is this: it now keeps track of -pairs- of stairs (the stair, 2D and 3D that's on floor N, and the 2D only stair that is its "doppelganger" on floor N+1). The way it keeps track of its twin is through the long, automatically created name. (Look at the names of stairs sometimes). When a "linked" stair is cut and pasted to a new layer, even temporarily, it regenerates itself, looks for its counterpart, and has trouble. This can be avoided by copying and pasting the stair instead of cutting and pasting it. Small difference, but in this case the name integrity of the stairs is preserved.

As for using the old stair, I can't recommend it. It may well create incompatibilities in the future.