Data visualization should be able to hide objects, too

matteoluigi

Question

For drawing plans for modification of buildings, data Data visualization should be able to hide objects, too. In Archicad for example it's called Rennovation filter. Here you can assign to an object, wether it is existing, new or should be demolished, in order to display all parts in the colors - black:existing, yellow: demolished, red: new or display only the old version or the new version of the building.

However, data visualization actually isn't able to hide objects, which is essential for those plans.

Here you can see, how it is solved in Archicad:

is

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, _c_ said:

You can fliter your data visualization by

maybe THAT'S the problem. I cannot save a set of Data-Visualization, Layer-visibilities as a set. That's one big advantage of Archicad, actually. There's really a lot of stringency in that system.

First tab - the drawings, second tab - all saved views which contain sets of layer visibilities, filters, there also exists an own "reconstruction" filter renovation-projects, and, the third tab are layouts. 

Actually I always did this by class. Document overrides, not even class overrides.

If you are doing what I think you are doing, you just need black, red, yellow. So your best friend is a dedicated document where the attributes are as needed. If you are doing German permits the level of drawing standard requirements is only achieved with a dedicated doc. I call this plot file.

Edited by _c_
On 11/9/2020 at 6:32 PM, _c_ said:

Actually I always did this by class. Document overrides, not even class overrides.

If you are doing what I think you are doing, you just need black, red, yellow. So your best friend is a dedicated document where the attributes are as needed. If you are doing German permits the level of drawing standard requirements is only achieved with a dedicated doc. I call this plot file.

We do Austrian permit plans, which I think are very similar to German plans, and we never used a dedicated document in order to achieve drawing standard requirements. Could you please explain in which way do you think your workflow would be advantageous?

Hello Thomas,

since most times we need to work on permits (LP4) and construction drawings (LP5) at the same time, and this for a long time -perhaps years- we work as for LP5 and load the project by reference old style in prepared files for LP4. 

These files are set with the attributes are as needed by BauVerVO (previously BauVorlVO).

There are world of differences across the two displays, as you well can imagine.

It is very fast to change the attributes of a class in a document, compared to deal with all overrides/visualisations etc.

Have  a prepared class file > New > Import. Done.

The display is perfect: colours, line thickness level of detail, hatches, etc. And the maintenance is ZERO.

We can then archive the plot file easily as required. The file is always as small as it can be and we can restore the exact content for "Tekturen" or whatever reason.

We have some 3-4 display standards loadable by class import. Fare with this system since references were introduced, also on large projects spanning with great many buildings and couldn't be any happier.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:29 PM, matteoluigi said:

I cannot save a set of Data-Visualization, Layer-visibilities as a set. That's one big advantage of Archicad, actually. There's really a lot of stringency in that system.

@matteoluigi

Hi 

Excuse me, I am a beginner in the field of data visualization in VW.

I've got a little experience with filters in AC though.

Could you please explain me, what is ment by "save sets of Layer-visibilities"

and "save sets of Data-Visualization".

It would make it easier for me to follow...

5 minutes ago, Mi&D said:

"save sets of Layer-visibilities"

and "save sets of Data-Visualization".

yeah, sure . That's a thing I really admire in Archicad because it allows you to work in a really stringent, straight way.

In Fact you have 4 Areas in the navigator Palette.

1) is the Palette with your drawings, mainly the building Modell, sheets for 2D drawings, details and Worksheets

2) an Area with something like saved views, which not only do collect a set of visible floors and layers, but, for every "saved view" you also can store a set of 3D/2D Data visualization (i forgot the original name), a "transformation-filter" which care's about restructuring projects (there's defined which building parts are old, new or get demolished)... Of course, for all these settings, there are available sets. a set for layer(=VW-classes)-visibility, a set of data vis, a set for the transformation filter... Now every saved view also contains a combination of these sets.

3) Layouts. - every saved view is the base for a viewport, which can be placed on any sheet layer

4) publisher (like the Vectorworks publisher)

So, from 1) to 4) there's a straight system, when I now change a saved view it immediately affects all viewports, which are connected to that saved view.

@matteoluigi

Thanks for your explanations:

If I got you right: in Vectorworks we do not have the possibility to:

- Save sets of Layers

- We do have saved views in VW, but we are not able to place them on Layouts or make sets of them - am I right?

- We are missing a transformation filter in VW

Another conflict in VW-Data-Visu:

Walls in section do not appear the same way as in floor plan.

Is there anything like this in AC?

Is there any known workaround in VW to get this issue solved?

Just now, Mi&D said:

Save sets of Layers

sure, you can save sets of layers and classes as saved views, and of course you can save sets of classes and layers as viewports, however, both exist independent from each other.

2 minutes ago, Mi&D said:

We do have saved views in VW, but we are not able to place them on Layouts or make sets of them - am I right?

You cannot place a saved view as viewport on a sheetlayer (although you can of course activate a saved view and then create a viewport from that point on)

2 minutes ago, Mi&D said:

- We are missing a transformation filter in VW

you will have to use a combination of saved views and data visualization and create viewports from that point on

3 minutes ago, Mi&D said:

Walls in section do not appear the same way as in floor plan.

might be caused by a difference in screen visualization between "2D-Plan" and the sectioned view of a 3D-Model. "2D-Plan-View" still is a special view-option in Vectorworks.