2021 - Teaser Tuesday: Automate Your Workflow with BIM Improvements

JuanP

@Andy Broomell thanks! I was trying to use a Grid Bubble from an old drawing but that PIO didn't get any 3D love. Also, looks like "3D" in this case means it's visible in VP's but is not a 3D object. So that's cool for plating up a drawing but not so much on the DL. Unless I'm missing something... 

Definitely like the addition of styles though. More like a label legend now. I was not a fan of styles at first but I'm growing to love them... 

@JuanP I'm getting some disappearing graphics in an iso view unless I select all. Not sure if that's a feature or a bug... 

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.00.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.00.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.00.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.01.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.02.10 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

@JuanP I'm getting some disappearing graphics in an iso view unless I select all. Not sure if that's a feature or a bug...

Are you sure you don’t have the clip cube on?  It looks that way.

and, you’re right.  The grids only show in section and elevation views in viewports.  They only display on the layer plane in design layers.

• Like 1

Thanks, @Matt Panzer

Yeah, I think the Clip Cube must have turned on from the fresh install? I just tested it in a new file, and it's fine. BTW love all the contextual sequencing options now! 

Speaking of the Clip Cube -- this is slightly off topic -- I don't migrate anything because I prefer a fresh install. Having to resize every palette in 9 different workspaces is super annoying. Is there a way to retain palette size/position across multiple workspaces in VW21? Do tearaway tabs help with that? I mean, I have an OIP,  basic tools, attributes...  in every workspace, so it's always been a pain point for me, and this release is all about removing pain points, so I'm just wondering if there's a new solution.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 6.20.52 PM.png

10 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

Yeah, I think the Clip Cube must have turned on from the fresh install?

OK.  Good you have that sorted.

I just tested it in a new file, and it's fine. BTW love all the contextual sequencing options now! 

I'm glad you like it!

Speaking of the Clip Cube -- this is slightly off topic -- I don't migrate anything because I prefer a fresh install. Having to resize every palette in 9 different workspaces is super annoying. Is there a way to retain palette size/position across multiple workspaces in VW21? Do tearaway tabs help with that? I mean, I have an OIP,  basic tools, attributes...  in every workspace, so it's always been a pain point for me, and this release is all about removing pain points, so I'm just wondering if there's a new solution.

No new solution that I know of.

• JuanP unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, rb-arch said:

We have also found that the Extent of the viewport needs to be unlimited in order for the grid to show.  If you clip your view before the end of the building you're out of luck.

I just tested this with a side elevation view (not a section viewport) in my "test drive" model, and it seemed to work fine. The only unexpected behavior was the the bounding edges (top and bottom) of the grid lines/bubbles moved/constrained to the extents/edges of the crop.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.15.42 PM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
17 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

I just tested this with a side elevation view (not a section viewport) in my "test drive" model, and it work fine. The only weird behavior was the the bounding edges (top and bottom) of the grid lines/bubbles moved/constrained to the extents/edges of the crop.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.15.42 PM.png

see here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/480hdc8xjt881gm/Screen Recording 2020-09-23 at 12.33.35 PM.mov?dl=0

22 hours ago, rb-arch said:

After you right click and dimension Grid Sequence, it won't update the dimensions in elevation and section viewports, we've noticed.  Too bad. 

You mean you want the dimensions to automatically display in all viewports when you place them in the design layer?

1 hour ago, rb-arch said:

We have also found that the Extent of the viewport needs to be unlimited in order for the grid to show.  If you clip your view before the end of the building you're out of luck.

I'm not seeing this.  Could you send me the file privately?

1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

I just tested this with a side elevation view (not a section viewport) in my "test drive" model, and it work fine. The only weird behavior was the the bounding edges (top and bottom) of the grid lines/bubbles moved/constrained to the extents/edges of the crop.

This is by design and allows you to easily adjust their extents by changing the crop size.  However, you can also select the grid lines and reshape them where you wish and they'll no longer be constrained to the crop.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

You mean you want the dimensions to automatically display in all viewports when you place them in the design layer?

I'm not seeing this.  Could you send me the file privately?

This is by design and allows you to easily adjust their extents by changing the crop size.  However, you can also select the grid lines and reshape them where you wish and they'll no longer be constrained to the crop.

Dropbox link above