2021 - Teaser Tuesday: Automate Your Workflow with BIM Improvements

JuanP

I sooooo hope they get area calculations for the surfaces right ! This would be sooooo great! (Que Tony the Tiger) That and....

1. Will the display criteria be controlled only by the view port like before? or can it be done live like its shown on the video?

2. Structure grid and detail viewport symbols look very useful. Do they also work like section tools?

And lastly

3. The Material resource, will it take over the class control of materials in door and window plugin objects????

Also...+1 for Russian Accents 😉 Love it! lol

Edit:

For those who didn't notice :

image.thumb.png.7a0eb8064037181ad9485f6425dcb432.png

Edited by Samuel Derenboim
  • Like 1

3d improved Grid Tool,  hope there are more tools like that.    I always work from a 3d BIM model.   But in the end I need to produce construction documents.    I've wasted hours of time putting Grid lines on Section and Elevation Viewports so this will be a big time saver for me.  Hope it will work for Section markers as well.

• Like 2

Awesome Materials feature!

I came to VW 2010 from Sketchup and AutoCad.

At the time, I found VW's process of setting up 2D (fills and textures) and 3D (renderworks textures) really convoluted and unproductive.

I wondered why can't "textures" be defined in one dialog box and it render in 2D and 3D? (like sketchup...)

Finally with a lot of experimentation, I learned how to get the results I wanted.

Though powerful, the current VW 2020 and prior process is not straight-forward.

Very glad to see VW developing materials in this way.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I don't usually get excited with these teaser videos, esp as normally we don't upgrade till at least sp3 and we didn't even bother with v2020 BUT if data can be associated with materials then data tags can be used to label them plus this data can be called up in legends and schedules. This looks very promising. At the moment vw has various disparate ways of annotating - keynotes / callouts / data tags / and space labels (incl fiinishes labels). None of these perfectly integrates with any of the others. Hopefully this is the answer....

PS I don't find any of the comments on the women's accent very funny.

Edited by Boh

@Boh 

If it makes it any consolation, I'm Russian. I too have a Russian accent. Don't think we said anything insulting, on the contrary. It's good to be not so serious sometimes. Yes, she has a Russian accent. But I'm sure she's brilliant nonetheless.

PS. For the record, This is the teaser video I've watched the most thus far. These particular features seem like one of the primary reasons to upgrade.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, TomKen said:

3d improved Grid Tool,  hope there are more tools like that.    I always work from a 3d BIM model.   But in the end I need to produce construction documents.    I've wasted hours of time putting Grid lines on Section and Elevation Viewports so this will be a big time saver for me.  Hope it will work for Section markers as well.

👆

This.  

Anyone who's trying to use the model to generate 2D drawings will appreciate a built in 2D viewport grid generating tool.  

On 9/8/2020 at 3:19 PM, Samuel Derenboim said:

3. The Material resource, will it take over the class control of materials in door and window plugin objects????

I'll be very interested to see how this works too.

At the moment I use material "classes" throughout my drawings, something that works OK but is a bit "homebrew" and it always worries me that setting up drawings with my own systems makes them less future proof and more difficult to share information with others.

If (and only if) the "material" resource concept has been well thought through, then it will be very welcome, rather than something that just adds another layer of complexity to drawing setup.

• Like 4
On 9/10/2020 at 9:48 PM, line-weight said:

I'll be very interested to see how this works too.

At the moment I use material "classes" throughout my drawings, something that works OK but is a bit "homebrew" and it always worries me that setting up drawings with my own systems makes them less future proof and more difficult to share information with others.

If (and only if) the "material" resource concept has been well thought through, then it will be very welcome, rather than something that just adds another layer of complexity to drawing setup.

Same but often end up with multiple versions of concrete or brick or doing the container and object dance. So hoping this allows in effect a class that is by material by with overrides to allow tweaks in the class to suit a situation. Might finally product a good reliable, teachable, templet solution to alterations and additions projects.

• JuanP unpinned this topic