2D an 3D Views Different

Kal

I am new to Vectorworks and I am playing with importing 3D models from Sketchup and creating a hybrid object so that the 2D is simplified. I attached some screenshots where for some reason the 2D position of the objects does not match the 3D. I am not sure how this happened or why.

table chair 2d.PNG

table chair 3d.PNG

Thanks, this does seem like a lot of extra work compared to other BIM programs where the 2D matches the 3D. It is not letting me rotate the 3D object in ortho view right on the screen. It only lets me put in a number and then it rotates way off the page. I guess I am just still confused how Vectorworks functions compared to what I am used to. Do you know of a video showing how to do this?

I think I figured it out. It actually has something to do with  when i created the symbol for the chair within the drawings. When I create the symbol in a blank new drawing and pull it into this drawing it seems to work fine without creating a 3rd symbol and editing it. Now the table is one symbol and the chairs are another plan1.thumb.PNG.d9444d7f6941ad37c05ff5f2f9cb5326.PNG and show correctly in both the plan and ortho view.

ortho1.PNG

When in Symbol Edit mode, the local 0,0 point is the insertion point of the symbol. It looks like you perhaps created the symbol away from the 0,0 point. You can always move the objects in the symbol so that the desired insertion point is at 0,0.

The Hybrid nature of symbols (Top/Plan [and now any orthogonal view] can show different objects than the 3D version can make it confusing, but it is a very powerful feature that lets you use a simpler (or more complex) version for Plan views while still having the resolution you need in the 3D model.

• Like 1

Hi @Kal,

FWIW I just had this happen to me.  Half the gizmo was 10' away in 2d, though it was nicely in place in 3d.  I started again from an imported .step, did all the exact same things through to the creation of the autohybrid, and it worked fine.  Repeated several times with the same model, and couldn't recreate the problem.  I even hauled things around in 3d space then put them back, in case I'd accidentally done something while flying over the first time.  No dice.  The whole incident smelled buggy to me, so all I can say is save often!  Hope you feel like you got a handle on it now.

• Like 1