Vision data issues

Hello,

I’m having issues while running and programming cues in vision. Random fixtures will change focus, color etc. while running sequences or focus/programming. All errant and intermittent. I cant run a sequence cleanly through as programmed,  without little oddities popping up. Any ideas? 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What console and protocol are you using?

What fixture(s) are having the issue?

Dies the same random thing happen every time you run the cue?

Is the cue that's having issues or is it the transition between cues where you are seeing the problem?

Are you on an isolated network? Vision listens to all DMX traffic on the network, so if there is someone else transmitting on the same network Vision will see it and process it.

If you are running the free version of EOS, and possibly others, remember it randomly backs out the DMX to prevent you from using it for a real show.

Hi Klinzey,

What console and protocol are you using? 

- ETC Eos Nomad, artnet

What fixture(s) are having the issue? 
-So far seems multiple. However the most significant are VL4000, MAC quantum wash, and Scenius profiles/spots. Which are basically all the fixtures in the pre-vis rig.

Dies the same random thing happen every time you run the cue? 

-No, all the weird little glitches are totally random and typically do not repeat during a sequence. 

Is the cue that's having issues or is it the transition between cues where you are seeing the problem? 
-It’s kind of a mixture of everything. For example if I’m running a Q or in the middle of a cute lamp may change color and focus, or swing around and point to the ceiling etc. and it’s never really a repeatable  issue. Sometimes even when I’m not in a Q but I am focusing a light, the light will suddenly pan or tilt in a different direction and I have to home the fixture again before I can regain control of it.

Are you on an isolated network? Vision listens to all DMX traffic on the network, so if there is someone else transmitting on the same network Vision will see it and process it. 
-Yes I’m on a totally isolated network, there’s no other consoles running over the lake it’s just me and my software.

If you are running the free version of EOS, and possibly others, remember it randomly backs out the DMX to prevent you from using it for a real show. 
-Yes, totally understand that. Eos does flash everything to full randomly once in a while which is made clear in the vision and EOS documentation. That’s not what the issue is. It’s just weird little random changes that fixtures seem to have minds of their own. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try using the DMX recorder in Vision to record part of the cue you are seeing the issue.

Play it back with just Vision running and see if the problem happens the same way.

Render out a movie using the DMX recording and see if that looks the same. (Use a resolution like 720.)

If the movie looks correct then Vision isn't keeping up with the real time rendering for one reason or another.

If the movie doesn't look right then it's either something with the DMX or Vision but with the DMX recording it should be the same every time.

Playing back the DMX recording in Vision should look the same every time.

If the Vision file, DMX recording, and the EOS file are small enough you can post them here. (The DMX recording is usually large, but zips up to be very small.)