2D tutorials

Arent there really any free tutorials on the web? What the hell are Nemetschek thinking? They should take a look at the video tutorials for sketchup on www.sketchup.com and watch and learn. That?s how to you attract new users and teach how to use your program from day 1. If they want to attract switchers from AutoCad like me, they must get theyr act togetger and provide some free tutorials, like most software developers with any self respect are doing. And not having a downloadable demo, what?s up with that. [Roll Eyes]

p.s.

No disrespect for your efforts Jonhatan, wich are great. It?s just that people don?t want to buy tutorials, unless they are sure they wan?t to use the program in the long run.

[ 03-02-2006, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: marr ]

Thanks RGyori

I have checked those videos, And they are good, but they are only about new fetures. They don?t teach you how the program works and get you started. I think it would be a great investment for Nemetschek to make basic video tutorials for beginners. Just to get people to realise, hey, this is a great program, I want to buy it, and actually be able to use it from day 1 without reading through the manual.

marr has a pertinent point. The SU series of movies cater for everyone from the beginner through to the experienced user trying to do someting more complex.

A series of QT movies showing the basics would be a valuable addition to the resources. It would certainly help potential users understand the program better.

Marr-

My VW 12 upgrade disc set comprised 4 discs, one labeled Upgrade Companion. This disc contained a lengthy series of tutorials (much like SketchUp) covering many of VW's features. While not exhaustive I found it helpful.

On VW website follow PRODUCTS > (select your application) > (select FEATURE DEMOS). You can download a variety of tutorials this way.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I don't care how many times you watch a movie, the best way to really learn either of these programs is to use it yourself and practice with them. SketchUp gives you 8 hours before you have to buy it, Vectorworks gives you 90 days to try it and then get a full refund. Vectorworks is a much more powerful piece of software, but you can learn a lot more in 90 days than 8 hours. My eight hours with SketchUp was gone before I knew it. I ended up buying the program but it still seems to make more sense to me to model and scheme in VW, it's easier to be precise, and then I'm halfway to completing construction documents. SketchUp is still fun to use and can do things that VW can't and is useful to me for cabinetry and smaller projects.

I'd also like to take this soapbox to comment on the small wave of nastiness and negativity I've see on these boards lately. Everybody gets frustrated at computers and corporations but making wanton generaliztions about how someone's needs are not being met seems inappropriate to the purpose of these boards. We all should be here to help eachother instead of flinging accusations.

There. Thanks for listening to my rant...

Micheal

I do not feel my comments were in any way nasty, but if you were offended, i do apologize.

Open forums are IMO places where you can say your views, positive and negative, just like on a coffeebreak or at the bar, or any other place where you interact with people. And constructive critisism of Nemetschek can?t harm anybody.

Marr,

I think Michael is reacting to the tone, rather than the content of some recent posts. I think NNA does a pretty good job of trying to our problems.

If you would like to see an example of how bad things can get on a forum, take a look at the Off Topic section here:

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/index.php

The other end of the spectrum can be seen here:

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?

(note: c4d cafe is not run by Maxon)

You will find many former Autocad users here (myself included). When did you ever get anything for free from Autodesk? One strategy for attracting customers to a relatively new product like SketchUp, is to use free tutuorials as a selling device. NNA provides the 90 day refund option. I do agree that free tuts would be a good idea, NNA family member, Maxon provides some for Cinema 4D.

George

[ 03-03-2006, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: George Hannigan ]

>> I think it would be a great investment for Nemetschek to make basic video tutorials for beginners.

Hi Marr,

The Learning Series CDs, which Resolve produces for Nemetschek, provide a consistent, well-thought approach to learning VectorWorks. We based the content on our experience teaching thousands of users across North America. The development of this type of material is costly, particularly when care is taken to provide a top-quality user experience.

I can understand that you would like to see these offered for free, however I think that you'd find them an excellent resource, and that the cost pales in comparison to paying for VectorWorks but not being as productive as possible with it.

Best regards,

Marr,

The tutorials for SU are great but SU does not do what Vectorworks does. Vectorworks is much less expensive than say AutoCAD. When I purchased Vectorworks I purchased the training CDs straight away. Even with the cost of the CDs Vectorworks is still much less expensive. Later on I also purchased some of Archoncad's as well and am still happy with my investment.

Darrell