container class

what is <> - a new class that has added itself to all our drawings since we upgraded to V12? its default attributes are white solid fill and black line.

i have just spent ages trying to work out why the bitmap image included in one of my viewports wouldn't print out. (it printed out fine in V11.5)after trying everything i eventually decided to change the class attributes of the <> to no fill - and the image then printed fine. i should also note that neither the viewport or the image were in container class and the image was visible on the viewport on screen.

so, i s'pose the quesion is what other items can i expect to be related to this class and why.

There has been a respose from NNA:

'Each class has default settings assigned at creation. The settings in the <> are no different then any other class. As far as why the polyline is not filled on the drawing but printed out filled I am not sure. It was possibly a function of the printer trying to interpret the vector based data. Printing vector based data is vastly different then printing a text document or a webpage. The process does depend on the printer to interpret what some of the data truly is. In this case the printer, for whatever reason, thought the polyline was a solid object and not just a line.'

But this does not really answer the questions:

1. What is a container class?

2. Why is it automatically created on converting 11.5 to 12 files?

3. I only thought there were two classes created automatically - dimension and none - so is the container class a new automatically created class?

4. If so' what is its purpose / function?

5. Is it needed or can it be deleted?

Michael,

Please keep in mind that our primary mode of support is the phone, email next and this board is something I try to visit every other day. Due to volume and my meeting schedule, I don't necessarily have the time to come in here and reply to every post on the hour.

Please be patient when posting items. If you want a reply to a specific tech support issue, the best bet is to go through Computers Unlimited, since you are in the UK. I had one of my associates look at your file because I was perplexed by the problem description here. If you would like answers from tech support regarding this specific item, my suggestion is to simply reply to the email that was sent to you from our staff. Afterall, you will get the same tech you were working with who likely did quite a bit of research to answer your question.

Payne & mw,

I have a number of files from various versions of VW (including 11.5) that have been brought into VW 12 Arch. After seeing you post I went back, but have not seen a new "container class". Is this happening in all drawings brought into 12? Are any objects being moved into it? What happens if you make it the active class, view set to Active Only?

Are you on Mac or PC? I'm on a PC, Win XP Pro.

George

My patience comment was more directed to the post in this discussion topic. Posting something and waiting 4 hours for a response before replying as such is a little unrealistic.

We're using a PC on Win XP and we are finding that 'container class' appears on every file we convert to version 12.

George- I gave your active only class idea a go and it did appear to be empty. However, I was wondering whether container class is perhaps a sub-class as part of an object - much as the 'sill' class is to the door and window. I have tried the active only method out on the sill class and found that when the doors/ windows are not visible the 'sill' parts aren't either regardless of whether the sill class is the active one or not - does this make sense? Basically, my concern is that perhaps we are deleting a part of an object by deleting the container class. any thoughts?

Payne,

In VW 12, when you try to delete a class, a dialogue box opens giving the option of:

1. Deleting all objects

2. Reassigning the objects to: (class of your choice).

Option #2 would prevent deleting any objects assigned to this class.

I'm using the US version of VW Arch. You guys are on the UK version? I have opened files that were originally created in Minicad 6, and have survived successive conversions to VW 12. So far I have not seen any of these "orphan" classes in these updated files.

What version of VW did these drawings start in?

I seem to recall some strange class behavior in very old versions (6 or7). Sub-classing using a hyphen started ~Minicad 7 I think. I still have an old Mac with MC 7, but it'll be a week or so before I can access it.

The display controls are little confusing. It seems that nesting heirarchy limits class visibility (eg. - doors/windows w/in walls).

I wonder if anybody using other than the UK version is seeing this?

George

[ 03-17-2006, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: George Hannigan ]

For the people that are having a class called CONTAINER display in a specific file, please send the file directly to me - katie@nemetschek.net with CONTAINER CLASS in the subject line.

Also include the product you are using as well as the version of VW.

Thank you!

The container class seems to be an issue when converting door objects from VW 11 to VW 12.

The engineering team is currently looking into the issue, hopefully fixing it for the next version.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out what has caused this issue. I need more information though.

Do the 11.5 files have <> in your class popups for windows( possibly for doors as well)?

What is the history of this file?

What version Was it created in?

Was translated in/out of previous versions?

Are the windows(or doors)converted legacy plug-ins?

Any additional information will help me figure out this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out what has caused this issue. I need more information though.

Do the 11.5 files have "<< container class >>" in your class popups for windows( possibly for doors as well)?

What is the history of this file?

What version Was it created in?

Was translated in/out of previous versions?

Are the windows(or doors)converted legacy plug-ins?

Any additional information will help me figure out this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

If

1) I start with an empty file in VW Basic 11.5.1

2) Draw a wall

3) Insert a window from the VW Architect Sampler

4) Turn on Class Settings

then the popup class is "<< container class >>".

However, "<< container class >>" doesn't appear in the main class list.

If I then open that file in Architect 12.0.1 then "<< container class >>" appears in the main class list.

It doesn't seem to happen with doors.

In the Finder it says that the VW Architect Sampler is a VW10 document.

[ 03-22-2006, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: NickB ]

NickB,

I think you found a clue. I did the following:

1. Started 4 new files in 11.5.1.

2. Drew a wall in each and inserted a single window in each from:

-VW Arch Sampler

-Andersen (VW 8)

-Marvin (VW 8)

-Tool Palette

3. Saved each from 11.5.1.

Switched to VW Arch 12.0.1 and opened each of the 11.5.1 files, converting to 12.0.1.

Result:

1. "container class" appeared in:

VW Arch Sampler and Andersen files

2. "container class" did not appear in:

Marvin and Tool Palette files

Next, while in VW Arch 12.0.1, I opened the VW Arch Sampler.mcd. I drew a wall and inserted the window from VW Arch Sampler using the Resource Browser. The "container class" was created directly in VW 12.

The "container class" seems to be related to the 3D components of the window from VW Arch Sampler. If you DELETE the "container class", the 2D window components remain, but the 3D components are no longer visible, the 3D wall opening remains.

Now it gets interesting.

Go to a 3D view, double click on the edge of the opening where the window used to be and the Edit Window opens. Go to the Parts Tab and activate some of the Parts - turn on Trim, etc. When you return to the drawing, the 3D parts are Back AND the "container class" has been Recreated!

That's all I have time for right now. But there must be something in these older PIO's that is causing this.

George

[ 03-22-2006, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: George Hannigan ]

Michael,

You can choose to send the file in again with the information per Dave Fortin's post or not.

Without more files and the requested information, resolving this issue is challenging.