Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Import spreadsheet data into vectorworks and assign to record format.

The Hamma

I have a spreadsheet with a list of equipment and each piece of equipment is identified with a unique id.  I also have symbols in the drawing with a record attached and a matching field for every column in the spread sheet.   I was able to create a report based on the record and I am able to copy cell by cell manually from the imported spread sheet to the record report worksheet.  My question is has anyone written a script that would search a worksheet for a matching id and copy all of the following cells in the row to the other worksheet?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 10:55 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Unless this is time critical right now, you might want to put this on the back burner for a few weeks.

Oh, well, that's just mean.  If there's some new great way of sending and receiving data from external sources (particularly Filemaker), I'm going to be quite a happy camper.

On 9/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, The Hamma said:

I have a spreadsheet with a list of equipment and each piece of equipment is identified with a unique id.  I also have symbols in the drawing with a record attached and a matching field for every column in the spread sheet.   I was able to create a report based on the record and I am able to copy cell by cell manually from the imported spread sheet to the record report worksheet.  My question is has anyone written a script that would search a worksheet for a matching id and copy all of the following cells in the row to the other worksheet?

Are you saying you have a spreadsheet outside of Vectorworks and want to import  that spreadsheet, match each line to a symbol, and apply the data from that spreadsheet to the symbols, filling the necessary record format(s)?  If so, yes.  I have dozens of scripts which do this.  Each symbol/lighting device/plug-in has a unique ID, and the script matches the data from each line to the symbol using that.

It's can get quite complicated.  The  basics are to use OPEN(filename) and then  create a loop to read each line and separate each cell into a variable. Find any symbol which matches the key variable, and SETRFIELD to apply the variables to the records fields.

Edited by SamIWas
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, rDesign said:

I believe that FileMaker can import from & export to Excel files, so presumably you could use this new 2021 Excel file functionality as the means to transfer data / records between Vw <—> FileMaker, without needing the MS Excel application itself. Just a hunch.

Yeah, I already do that via text files.  It's just an extra step in the process.   I know that a direct, immediate, and automatically updating connection is possible with Filemaker via ODBC.  I've gotten it working briefly on small projects, but it is mind bogglingly difficult.  I'm hoping for VW and FM to work together to make a solution with easy, automatic connection between the two.  FM Is so powerful when it comes to tracking and reporting data.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...