Vegetation line tips needed...

Kevin R

Hey there. Thanks in advance for the patience to a new user.

I'm wondering how I can get an outline around large masses of perennials without the actual plant symbols/circles showing? I want to show just "drifts" for the different groups, while retaining plant group info, plant tags, etc. At the moment my drawing is a million overlapping circles. I figure there has to be a way to do this, but vegetation line doesn't seem to apply...

Robert, I hate to be "that guy" and bombard you, but in working with your suggestion of adding a style to my groups, I now get a script error. "Error 1560 52. You must ALLOCATE the dynarray before using it. It literally gets worse as I go. VW needs more time in R&D.

OK. What I need to do is: Have a large overlapping mass of simple circle symbols turn into just the outline, with a plant tag visible.Ideally a graphic enhancement like vegetation line would be easily added as well. I need to do this without weird filled polys appearing on every plant group, some tags hiding some not, etc.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think this is a learning-curve and training issue. Frankly, a Tech Support board is really not efficiently set up to substitute for training. Send me your email, though, and I'll send you an example document of plant styling that may give you some ideas of how to do what you want. randerson@nemetschek.net

• 1 month later...

Hoping that someone could help me out with this topic. I have followed the above instructions for creating a "drift", but when I set the plant style and select no sketch and my plant style is enabled, nothing happens. If I select cloud in the plant style, the result is a drift around my overlapping grouped plants with all the plants showing, no merging is occurring. I'm using MS OS and VWL 11.01. Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...

What I do is use a 'very' small circle, dot, or cross as the plant symbol - much smaller than the spacing of your plants - fill in your area for that plant type using the place plant tool and with none in the polygon display (Object Info palette). Then I draw an polygon outline and use the plant line tool to suggest the plant bed. This works well for perennials or shrub beds on drawings with a small scale (1:500 for example). Make sure the symbol is as simple as possible. I hope this helps.