2021 - Teaser Tuesday: Collaboration Improvements Make Us Better Together

JuanP

21 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

VW users: we want a maintenance update focused on performance and stability--no new features!

VW: for the first time in 20 years, every user finally has true multicore performance the entire time the app is being used

VW users: we're not upgrading because there are no new tools!

VW: there are ton of new things we haven't announced yet in these 4 Trigger Tuesdays

This is why we need better communication vis a vis a Public Roadmap. Also, just end Teaser Tuesdays. They used to be 8 min DIY BTS deep dives followed by Q&A's. Now they're just the same 3 min promo videos that drop on release day when we can dive into the new release ourselves to explore (which is extremely fun to do under those circumstances vs rage-posting in the the forum for a month straight).

LOL. But does it blend????

• Laugh 1
29 minutes ago, JuanP said:

For Architect users we focused our efforts on:

• Improving BIM workflows. This will be seen in a New Materials resource, Structural Grids, and improvements to documentation with what we’re calling Smart Markers. 
  • Additional improvements to title blocks, space objects, railings, stairs, windows and doors.
  • Addition of project sharing server capability.
  • Improving file exchange with Revit.

So no stacked walls, no roof improvements, no Twinmotion link, no gutters, no flashings, no MEP, no structural networks, no Rebar..... another year goes by....

• Like 2

Hi @Samuel Derenboim, the staked walls is not something asked today, if you see the forums, that plea have been made at least 5 years ago! Every other BIM application has this, even newcomers like BricksCAD or ChiefArchitect, I don't understand to what segment of market is focusing Vectorworks when it can't deliver essential things like this...

Edited by DBrown
Typos

Perhaps the new material tool will be able to fix that since it is more of a material problem rather than a wall problem. Second, had they addressed that problem separately, I am sure there would be other gripes. All I am saying is that every release won't get you everything you wanted, but I know I've gotten at least one or two very useful tools or functionalities with every release.

I find the import/export excel features very useful.

I think that Vectorworks is advancing their tools as well or better than any of the vendors.  Read some of the other vendor tool forums. 

Price does factor, too.  Vectorworks Architect is at least 40%-60% less than the leading competitors.  Do we all want to kick in the extra 40%-60% so that Vectorworks can greatly accelerate development?  If not, then why complain?  For what Vectorworks charges, its capabilities and pace of development more than hold their own against the competition.

• Like 3

Yes,

every VW release had a handful of updates or new features I don't want to miss

and made me take the risk to migrate long term projects.

But I also do not find peace as long as the annoying inconsistency of some of the

original legacy Tools (Move by Points), existing longer since I started with VW 2014,

will not get fixed.

Or when New features will be released and the forum has so much critique or

better proposals (Stories+Level management, Structural Members)

They will be thrown out that way and never touched again for decades.

For the Wall PIO Update that started even a semi official discussion here

I was also disapointed that it didn't happen already in VW 2020.

(or was it even VW 2019 ?)

So long I will be more annoyed by these issues than I can enjoy any new features.

I kind of resignated am no more emotional about VW but do not quit.

But added an alternative CAD beside VW. Although not yet at the point for me,

feature wise,  that follows more my interests and excitement.

Or I look at Blender Development.

So far, this and the wish to stay with Apple,  that helps me to me bear with VW's

roadmap.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, jmanganelli said:

Price does factor, too.  Vectorworks Architect is at least 40%-60% less than the leading competitors.  Do we all want to kick in the extra 40%-60% so that Vectorworks can greatly accelerate development?  If not, then why complain?  For what Vectorworks charges, its capabilities and pace of development more than hold their own against the competition.

That's true for competitors like Autodesk who charge a premium, but a license from Archicad cost the same, I've using Vectorworks for 10 years, and paying for it,  and slowly seeing other BIM software surpass Vectorworks in the architectural market, I've been seeing other alternatives since Vectorworks don't offer the tools I need as an architect, so far the awesome worksheets in Vectorworks are the only thing others don't have yet, but a this pace they will get there and I'll be happy to migrate, because Vectorworks give us some features every couple of versions, but they don't update/improve the ones an architect uses every single day, it's disappointing...

It must be priced very differently country to country?  I did not know that. 

did graphisoft cut their prices drastically or does this mean that they charge way more in the us than they do elsewhere?

when I was deciding between archicad and vectorworks architect a few years ago, the price I was quoted was closer to $5000 for the archicad license and then the maintenance on top of that was closer to $1000. Did that change?

Edited by jmanganelli
2 hours ago, JuanP said:

documentation with what we’re calling Smart Markers

Trying not to think about what could mean it's bound to be different to what I'm thinking but guessing it feeds into the improvements for next years release as well.

Still a lot to like in this list.

Would be great to see the bullet points from design summit as chronology seeing the programmer overall has benefited bite size chunks of improvements.

Each year we both get a little better, having seen office do the transition I'm convinced they would have been better off sticking and throwing the same money at training and hardware.

• Like 1

@Samuel Derenboim 

Maybe after you suffered a few technical issues that tech support ignores for months on end, your tune would change  🙂

It doesn't matter when I had Service Select, reached out directly to tech support, or posted to the forum... responses and solutions are lacking.

I cancelled my service select after the waiting for a year to get an answer on what should be a basic question.

I don't see the value in throwing money at software/service if basic problems go unresolved.

Hopefully things will get better in the future.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, JuanP said:

For Architect users we focused our efforts on:

• Improving BIM workflows. This will be seen in a New Materials resource, Structural Grids, and improvements to documentation with what we’re calling Smart Markers. 
  • Additional improvements to title blocks, space objects, railings, stairs, windows and doors.
  • Addition of project sharing server capability.
  • Improving file exchange with Revit.

Any improvements to stairs, windows and doors is a plus for me.  Ya I'm still waiting for a stacked wall solution.  Stacked walls was my first wish here on the forums.  5 years ago.

• Like 3

@jeff prince , I agree, the site model needs a little work. I have learned by using the site model tool ends up being problematic when using hardscapes and actual cutouts and site modifiers that I've resorted to using Nurbs surfaces, and mapping 2 dimensional geometry on the produced 3 dimensional surface. Sure, it's not parametric, but its a solution that isn't impossible to solve. I've also had many a problems before, some severe, some, not so much. (I.e. the way vectorworks calculates surface areas for walls, windows etc..., energos, the way VW tabulates records and it's inability to divide 0 into 0 without getting an error, among many others) Tech support wasn't able to help me much either. It's ok. I still found a solution.

Regarding the contour problem, let me check it out, maybe i can creatively come up with something.

Regarding export to C4d and exporting alpha channels shouldn't be such a big deal. I know in 3d max and / or in sketchup / vray - you can use a single image as an alpha and as an overlay if I'm not mistaken. VW isn't meant for that type of work. Now that Lumion, Twinmotion and Unreal Engine are on the market, real time renderers and it's entourage / foliage models should be able to replace such models. All I'm saying is that, yes, work-arounds are annoying, but it is not impossible to implement. My personal preference, I just import low poly sketchup foliage, and use that instead. Much easier to transfer to other 3d programs. If polys are too high, use a poly reducer to get the results you need.

I'm just happy I can produce a decent BIM model in VW, create a set of documents, label everything, use records for everything, and still be done on time. I can't say the same for any other program. Opting out of the service select might be a financial savings for one year, but you will end up paying for it when VW solves the problems you're talking about, or creates new tools that circumvents some of those problems. The tag tool for me was one such example 2 releases ago, I don't know how i worked without it before that point. In either case, what you pay in service select for upgrading VW upon release for 2 years is probably less than what you would pay to upgrade after missing the 2 years (depending on when you have service select). Financially, it works out for the better I think.

Additionally, I don't think they (service select customer service) will solve alot of problems you have. They're not intended for that purpose i believe, but they certainly are useful to get some ideas on how to solve something. They're also not the size of autodesk. You're still getting updates (more than autodesk produces), and its 2 times if not 3 times less expensive for a single seat. You're getting almost everything you want out of the software. If you want to stay in the same family, maybe Archicad is better for your needs? Have you tried it?

Edited by Samuel Derenboim
  • Like 2
  • JuanP unpinned this topic