Rendering out a blank visual :(

Hi I am a learning student on my summer break and I can't seem to understand why the viewport I have set up will render out when the background setting is set to 'Open GL' but will not render out when I use my own rending setting that was given to me by my tutor. Help is appreciated! 

Screenshot (174).png

Screenshot (175).png

Edited by Poppy Collins
adding information
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Poppy
Thanks for sharing the file. 
I had no problem rendering it - I wonder if your computer ran out of memory?

I have rendered in 2020, but exported back to 2019 as I see that's the version you are using.

I do have some suggestions. I notice that you have placed the model inside a huge piece of geometry and then added a further extrude on the top to represent the sky.

These are not essential steps. I've put both of these pieces into a separate class and then rendered another viewport with those classes turned off. I included a sky background in a copy of your teacher's Renderworks Style, and you can see that the sky still displays, and that the model is nicely lit. 

I hope this is helpful.

You might find the Remarkable Renderworks course in university.vectorworks.net useful.

All the best

31.08.2020.-v2019.vwx

Hi Tasmin, 

I've saved your file onto my hard drive that has 1.74TB free. I then opened it and updated the viewports without changing the design layer or settings, and they rendered out blank again (see photo). 

Also my computer specifications are:

PROCESSOR - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80GHz 

INSTALLED RAM - 8.00 GB (7.83 GB usable)

SYSTEM TYPE - 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor 

Is it a problem with my computer specifications or my available memory on my hard drive?

Thank you! 

image.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hmmm - very strange. Do you have the latest service pack installed for Vectorworks 2019? Under the Help menu, try Check for Updates and then follow the instructions to get the software to the latest level.

The hard drive isn't the issue. The 8GB RAM should be OK too...

The graphics card isn't used by Renderworks, so although you don't list that, it shouldn't be an issue either. Try the software update and hopefully that will help.

When you render the viewport using Renderworks, does it appear blank?  If so, have you tried zooming out or in to see if the image appears?  There is a bug regarding this and thus far the only solution I am aware of is restarting the document. If you have your render cache restore preference turned on, it become just an annoyance as your viewports will load fully rendered. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue as Phillip above along with some other people I know. Rendering locally on my computer would render fine but when rendering from the cloud, the image comes out mostly white. Is there a setting or something we're missing? It was previously working fine up until a few days ago and then realized I wasn't the only one with the issue. Using VW 2020.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-5.23.23-PM_2.p