Export Document Composed of 2d Symbols as Lines

I use Vectorworks essentially as a drawing program, without much employment of symbols, sheet layers or viewports. I have received a document which is heavily reliant upon all three, and what I need instead is a simple single-layer no-symbols version of the drawing, as though it had been created all on one layer, for the purpose of exporting to another program.

Is there a method for starting from a sheet layer built out of 2d symbols and ending up with a drawing layer which appears identical, in which everything is composed of simple lines rather than symbols?

thanks
K

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Karl Martin The basic answer to your question is Yes. There would almost certainly be a way to start with what you have been given on a sheet layer and ending up with a drawing layer (aka design layer) that is a replica of the original sheet layer but instead composed of simple lines. Vectorworks in extremely capable when it comes to such unique processes. However...

Doing this to a file would likely take some time to complete and it is difficult to say exactly how it would be done without seeing the file. Developing a workflow for this, if you are not familiar with commands beyond the mere basics, may require the assistance of a consultant. On top of all this, doing these modifications to a file sounds like it would be drastically reducing its usefulness relative to how Vectorworks is designed to be (and shines when) used.

On the other hand, I would encourage you take this opportunity to increase your Vectorworks skills a bit. Since you already have some Vectorworks experience, it is very likely that, with a bit of one-on-one training, you could make that existing file do what you need it to do. You would be then be able to do more drawing/edits on the design layer, work with those symbols, use viewports to show your work on a sheet layer, and print or export to another application. The skills your add while learning about these things will of course benefit every future project you do.

If doing some training sounds like something you would like to do, send an email to training@vectorworks.net and they would be happy to assist.