How to handle: Variety of SFPs as Connectors??

CHA

There's a wide variety of different SFPs around and most of the time you have no clue which one you will use when you create a device.

SFPs leading into SM or MM Fibre, leading into RX and TX or BiDi, leading into RJ45 or even SFP with SoC converting a CoAx video input (or output) directly into SMPTE2110 or other IP standards... this list probably is endless.(different bandwidth, different wavelength, QSFP...)   

Do you have different SFPs as different connectors in you connector list and change the connector according to your setup. (This could cause problems when you have a Madi ring and RX and TX are coming from 2 different devices leading into one SFP connector.) 

Of course you can create a unique device for every flavour of SFP and insert it into each connection, but this complicates the drawing quickly.

Is there a elegant and flexible way of handling directly the connector?

How are you doing this?

All best,

Christian

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Christian

Yep this is another of those curve balls the industry throws at us. Haven't an immediate answer for you but I think we ought to hook up on Zoom sometime this week. I'm in GMT +2 so why not send me a PM with a couple of slots where you are free.

Conrad

The best solution for me at the moment is to add a connector type "SFP" in the user's connector list and then I created a virtual device with the according specs and connectors for every SFP I use. At the moment that's 20 different virtual devices for 20 different SFPs in use.

Doing it like this I have the SFP info on the Design Layer and a "clean" Rack Elevation.

Adequate naming and numbering (Device based) of the virtual SFP devices make them manageable in the reports.

I think about adding a custom field with IP addresses for SFPs converting SDI video directly into SMPTE2110-20 or SMPTE2022-6.

Don't know if this way fulfils everybody's needs, but I am quite happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Christian

Me again! I was wondering if you would share with me a drawing using your SFP solution? I'd like to see it in action.

And by the way, I put in a request for you to become a Beta Tester so you should be hearing from Vectorworks at some point. If not let me know.

Conrad

4 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

I was wondering if you would share with me a drawing using your SFP solution? I'd like to see it in action.

I'm not there, yet. Will pm you the file as soon as I'm a bit further. Or would you be happy with a small test file?

4 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

And by the way, I put in a request for you to become a Beta Tester so you should be hearing from Vectorworks at some point. If not let me know.

Someone from VW connected me and asked questions about our VW distributer, so I guess this is on it's way.

CHA

@CHA @Conrad Preen I do the same thing for any slots or SFP type devices in equipment. Where I have symbols for each SFP connector SFP or PCI Capture card. For for QSC Qsys or Biamp for each card.

Then there is a link between the slot called SFP and card, which we ignore cable numbering on as its set to a signal as SPCL (my custom name using the SignalTypes.txt and the XXX connector using the ConnectorTypes.txt for customizations)

Cards.thumb.png.5c306ba56bd9aad5921d5d74c21cdb46.png

Edited by Kevin Krautle
  • Like 1