Drawing label in viewport

If I create a cut through a viewport (I don't know the English term for this) I can select to use a drawing label.

This drawing label is not how I want it to be, so every time I have to adjust it.

Now I've made a symbol of the drawing label the way I wan't it to be.
And place this in my viewports.

But is there a way to place the drawing label automatically the way I want it to?

I don't believe there is a way to do what you want. The Drawing Label tool/object is very basic.

I believe the English term for what you are doing is called a Section Viewport. Either creating the viewport without the Drawing Label and then adding yours or with the drawing label (for reference purposes) and then deleting and adding yours is probably the way you are going to have to go.

Data Tags are in the Dims/Notes palette. In the US version the icon is a ruler and pencil.

Basically a Data Tag is a symbol where the text blocks in the symbol can be automagically replaced with either manually entered or calculated text. In addition, if you use data from a Record (either a Plugin Object parameter record or a custom record), the data tag will only be able to be placed for objects that have that record. So if you have different IFC records, you could end up with data tags that will only work on one type of wall.

I recommend playing a little with the stock data tags in a new blank file before you jump in to generate your own.

The two basic tricks are:

1. While you are editing a Data Tag Layout, select a text block and at the bottom of the Object Info Palette there is a check box for Use Dynamic Text and a button to Define Text Field. Those are your entry point to being able to define the dynamic text.

2. Click the Define Text Field button and you get a Define Tag Field dialog box. The box at the top center shows the "current" tag definition, but if you have edited the definition it is not applied and remembered until you press the Add to Definition button near the bottom. If you don't you will lose all of your changes.

There are several threads about Data Tags. In at least one fo them I wrote a more specific set of instructions for data tags.

Ask again if you need more help.

• Like 2

If you create a drawing label the way you like it then use the eye dropper Tool on it with the “pick up set defaults” option checked in the tool settings then any new drawing labels you create in that file will be like you want them, including the ones that get created with viewports.

You can do this on any pio. When we set up our drawing templates we did this on all the tools we use so that we don’t have to adjust them each time.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Boh said:

If you create a drawing label the way you like it then use the eye dropper Tool on it with the “pick up set defaults” option checked in the tool settings then any new drawing labels you create in that file will be like you want them, including the ones that get created with viewports.

You can do this on any pio. When we set up our drawing templates we did this on all the tools we use so that we don’t have to adjust them each time.

This works like a charm!!

I wish I had known this 2 years earlier...

Thanks!!

• Like 2