Joining polylines with a fillet

P Retondo

Question

In previous versions we could join polylines with the fillet tool, which is really handy for pipelines & duct runs.  Now, in v2020, I get the error "Parallel lines cannot be filleted or chamfered," even though the segments in question are at right angles.  Works okay with lines, but if a polyline is involved, no go.  Is this a bug someone else has noticed?  Is anything being done about it?  Am I mad?

14 answers to this question

Peter, this is in the context of plumbing and other single-line plans that can't be composed into a single polyline.  What I want to get is this:

image.thumb.png.5b276391344945f9e4631da19e392b54.png

With a polyline, what I get instead is this:

image.thumb.png.714e54dd6b678cbdb9242330cffb3456.png

This worked in v2017.  In v2020 it works with lines, with polygons, but not with polylines.  I think it's a bug.

Edited by P Retondo

However... I recently discovered the "fillet" vertex mode for polylines, which can be quite useful for this kind of thing.

Draw as right angle

2077865060_ScreenShot2020-08-26at17_20_12.thumb.jpg.d421765dbfaca8c60862e2bd37e185ca.jpg

Then use polyline reshape tool to change that vertex to a fillet type, with your desired radius

414690741_ScreenShot2020-08-26at17_20_35.thumb.jpg.5311730494490010c95e2f8aa152b4de.jpg

One of the nice things about doing it this way is that you can later edit the polyline location/angle and not have to redraw your fillet:

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 17.23.39.jpg

Vw2019 functions the same way as Vw2020. The toolbar hint says that it in the Trim Mode it 'trims or extends lines / arcs...', so I'd guess that this is 'Working as Designed'.

But it could use a better error message than 'Parallel lines cannot be filleted or chamfered' -- such as 'Polylines cannot be filleted or chamfered'. [Maybe an overactive UI spellcheck and 'Parallel lines' is really supposed to say 'Polylines'?]

Vw2016 - 2018 do create the fillet in Fillet > Trim Mode, but they don't extend or trim the polylines as the toolbar hint would suggest. So it sort of works in those versions, but not fully.

Edited by rDesign

@rDesign 

I'm not sure why you say 'working as designed' in v2020.  No fillet is created, something that worked in previous versions. And as you point out, not fully working as designed in previous versions because of not extending the line or segment to the fillet!

Try filleting to a polyline in 2020 and you will see what I am talking about.

Edited by P Retondo
1 hour ago, P Retondo said:

@rDesign 

I'm not sure why you say 'working as designed' in v2020.  No fillet is created, something that worked in previous versions. And as you point out, not fully working as designed in previous versions because of not extending the line or segment to the fillet!

Try filleting to a polyline in 2020 and you will see what I am talking about.

I have tried in Vw2020 (and Vw2016, Vw2018, and Vw2019). As you correctly stated -- it doesn't work in Vw2019/Vw2020 as it it did in Vw2018 and older.

I said 'Working as Designed' because I would guess this is how Vw engineers intend it to work (hence the tool tip saying it works on 'lines / arcs', it says nothing about polylines). It wasn't fully working with polylines in older versions, so instead of fixing it, it appears that they took out that functionality completely.

If you haven't already, you should file a Tech Support Request.

Edited by rDesign

I find that if I create a polyline that crosses itself, I can't fillet any part of it. In fact, it crashes the program. No crossing, no problem. I've turned in a bug report. 

BTW, I'm a really new user with no experience on previous VW versions. Now using 2021 so I hope this comment is germane.