Object highlighting for a selected object

I can see (and have altered) the setting for a "Object Selecting - Pre Selection" in the Interactive Appearance Settings. What I don't see is the appearance settings for a selected object. It is good to see the object light up during pre selection but after selection and moving the mouse off the object, any highlighting disappears. is there a way to control this?

Are you sure? I did give you the wrong name, but if I chanve Object Highlighting - Active Layer, the highlighting of selected objects changes. I just changes my selected objects from Green to Purple doing this.

If you pushed the Opacity all the way down to the left, then you will not be able to see the highlight.

I have played around with all the settings I can find and I can now get the snap handles to stay on in a selected object but when I move the mouse off a selected object, the highlighting disappears. Puzzled. I have tried in my original file and a new file . Same result.