Apple macOS 11.0Big Sur Compatibility - Feedback

JuanP

On 11/22/2020 at 9:25 PM, Pat Stanford said:

@Zeno, What is the size of your Dell monitor and what resolution do you have it set for?

If it is a big monitor, but only 1080P (meaning a resolution of 1920 x 1080), then the sizes of the individual pixels will be large and things will not look as crisp as you Retina displays.

Alternatively, if the default resolution on the monitor is 1080P, but you are driving it to a higher resolution, then individual pixels won't match and you will get a blurrier image.

It is a 1080p but you can see that only mode bar has the problem

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Zeno said:

3d connexion solved all problems with space navigator, vectorworks, and big sur

I just checked with the R&D team, and our tests indicate that the updated beta driver now allows for movement, but it jumps randomly after a few seconds. I will keep you all posted.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, JuanP said:

I just checked with the R&D team, and our tests indicate that the updated beta driver now allows for movement, but it jumps randomly after a few seconds. I will keep you all posted.

3D Navigation looks ok for me here on my Trash Can with Big Sur.

But it looks like the Enterprise Buttons are still mixed up or duplicated.

Globally, for any App

But I think they are on track.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:51 AM, JuanP said:

@zoomer Can you provide us with the complete version of the macOS 11 and Vectorworks 2020 SP in use? thanks

Hey @JuanP I've had the same issue with v2020 and v2021.

All details in my signature are up to date. For clarification, I have the same issue even when I'm not hooked up to the external display. Let me know if you need any other info...

Thanks!

1500990592_ScreenShot2020-11-30at10_37_05AM.thumb.png.f4d0d606497a84d9f8df227cca0830fc.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
6 hours ago, Zeno said:

3d connexion solved all problems with space navigator, vectorworks, and big sur

https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39825

Thanks for sharing this! I can't live without my wired CadMaus. Never knew they had a forum for Mac users, so this is a great resource!

More info: https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/faq/beta-driver-for-macos-11-big-sur/

"Due to significant changes made by Apple the first wireless model, the CadMouse Wireless (launched 2017) and the original CadMouse device (wired, launched in 2015) are currently incompatible with macOS Big Sur. We are working on a solution... Please note that this driver is still under development. We do not recommend using it in a production environment where data loss cannot be tolerated."

Yes, I understood it at first as "originial CADMouse USB will never work on Big Sur"

But I think it was meant "original CADMouse will currently still not run with Beta Driver".

Currently it just does not work at all beside moving Cursor and Scroll Wheel.

At least original 3D Navigator and Enterprise got their 3D Navigation Back

on C4D, Vectorworks and Bricscad, with the latest Beta.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 10:29 PM, zoomer said:

Yes, I understood it at first as "originial CADMouse USB will never work on Big Sur"

But I think it was meant "original CADMouse will currently still not run with Beta Driver".

Currently it just does not work at all beside moving Cursor and Scroll Wheel.

BTW

They already provided a Firmware Update,

(The firmware updater is Windows only so far)

so the original CADMouse wired works fine again !

SM Enterprise Button hick ups and illegible "Dark Mode" on Display

remained so far.

And, AFAIK we are still far from an Apple Silicon capable driver.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

They already provided a Firmware Update,

(The firmware updater is Windows only so far)

so the original CADMouse wired works fine again !

You were able to update the wired CADmouse with the Windows driver, plug it into your Intel Mac, and it works on Big Sur?

Edited by Mark Aceto

It works on Big Sur Intel Mac with Firmware Update + latest Beta Driver.

I had a Service Request and they sent me a Windows only Firmware Updater.

After I stated that it worked, AFAIK they posted the Firmware Updater on their

Beta Driver FAQ page.

Not sure if the Firmware Updater needs a 3DCon Driver installed, so maybe it

should work on any Windows Machine available by just pluging in your 3DCon

devices.

I Updated both, CADMouse + Enterprise.

(But as said, no updates for Enterprise issues at that time)

Edited by zoomer

Interesting message from 3DConnexion :

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Beitrag von ngomes » Dienstag 15. Dezember 2020, 20:18

rjtiedeman hat geschrieben: ↑

Dienstag 15. Dezember 2020, 20:06

Vectorworks 2021 - the joystick is super sensitive . Placing a simple cube in space - it rotates slowly then spins out in space wildly. Not working in Vectorworks 2021. Same issue in Vectorworks 2020 - Placing a simple cube in space - it rotates slowly then spins out in space wildly.- Not working.

We believe to have addressed an issue in driver that affected VectorWorks in unexpected ways (objects would disappear from view). I do not know if this is what you're experience but I would suggest trying the next driver update, beta 11.

"Beta 10" failed verification and we're completing "beta 11", expected to be made available tomorrow (Wednesday) or Thursday.

Maybe some of those reports from disappearing geometry in OpenGL,

are from users using  Mac, Big Sur and 3DConnexion driver ?

• Like 3

Word of warning: I updated to Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) today and now I'm noticing a weird problem with palettes that I've never experienced before. Unsnapped palettes (in my case the Attributes and Resource Browser) appearing at something like 99% transparency. I managed to make the Attributes palette become opaque by grabbing it and snapping it to another palette. But I've had no such luck with the RB so far; I can't get hold of it. I can snap other palettes to it, but if I unsnap them again the RB disappears again. I've left the Attributes palette and RB snapped together for now, which is keeping the RB opaque.

Edit: I'm also having some pretty major issues with layer visibilities. I was having issues in the previous version of macOS Big Sur but these seem to have gone into overdrive now. Layers showing when they shouldn't, layers not appearing when they active, OpenGL artefacts, etc.

Edit 2: I had the same problem with objects on layers showing when those layers were off in the previous version of Big Sur but now they seem more persistent. Whereas in the previous version of Big Sur I could get rid of them by activating the layer and turning it invisible again, now the thing that seems to work is quitting VW and reopening it.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Upgraded without thinking, just because I'm off work over Christmas and figured was a good time to do it, but VW21 with BigSur seems to have the navigation lagging which I've only ever had before on a very large file. the Mac is well specced for what's needed and not missing anything so I'm guessing it must be a bug? Zooming in and out and panning across the screen is has like a half second delay with every move suddenly. Anyone else finding this? 

8 hours ago, khill2 said:

Zooming in and out and panning across the screen is has like a half second delay with every move suddenly. Anyone else finding this? 

Yes.

I thought that would be a VW 2021 thing, with new OpenGL functions

like different resolutions depending on scale and unloading occluded

geometry.

I also always thought, for less crowded files, this would be overall less

responsive and worse than it was before where it would just keep all

geometry in memory.

On the other hand I have Big Sur since first Public Beta - so already before

VW 2021 release. So I just do not know VW 2021 and latest graphics any

better on any previous macOS.

And basically I did all real VW work on a faster Windows PC. So I would

expect my old Trash Can being the cause of being slower anyway.

Edited by zoomer
On 1/3/2021 at 8:46 AM, khill2 said:

Upgraded without thinking, just because I'm off work over Christmas and figured was a good time to do it, but VW21 with BigSur seems to have the navigation lagging which I've only ever had before on a very large file. the Mac is well specced for what's needed and not missing anything so I'm guessing it must be a bug? Zooming in and out and panning across the screen is has like a half second delay with every move suddenly. Anyone else finding this? 

Hi - I have gone for it with 2021 and Big Sur - all up to date with latest VW service pack. 

From my experience everything works okay and I felt panning and zooming was in fact faster/smoother than Catalina. 

I am using a Mac Book Pro late 2016, 2.7ghz, 16GB RAM

My files though may be a bit light and so not pushing the limits with full on BIM. It is mostly CAD with some 3d modelling, wall and roof components. 3D more of a sketch. 

I've got Big Sur on a 15" 2019 MBP, 2.3ghz 8 core, 32gb RAM running a Radeon RX580 8gb card in an eGPU with two 27" dell monitors at 2560x1440 - VW 2021 SP2 working as well as it did on Catalina except for fuzzy toolbar icons on the dell monitors running at native resolution.. all the other palettes and quick prefs are nice and crisp

.592314988_ScreenShot2021-01-05at4_40_54PM.thumb.png.0eb0709c0d95cb742f2edd60f7dbb9d4.png

Edited by Aspect_Design
On 11/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, Mark Aceto said:

Hey @JuanP I've had the same issue with v2020 and v2021.

All details in my signature are up to date. For clarification, I have the same issue even when I'm not hooked up to the external display. Let me know if you need any other info...

Thanks!

1500990592_ScreenShot2020-11-30at10_37_05AM.thumb.png.f4d0d606497a84d9f8df227cca0830fc.png

@JuanP I finally updated to Catalina over the holiday, and this issue is finally fixed! Seems like the issue was on the Mac side not the VW side. So happy to see Exit Group again!

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed a small issue with the dialog box when saving a pdf from the print dial box. I can only see 3 rows and cannot expand the panel. I noticed this before on 2019/Mojave but seemed to go away with 2020/Catalina. Its not the end of the world but feels funny looking at my files through a letter box.

MBP 2016 TB - 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 - 16GB RAM

UPDATE : I have just noticed the same issue in Numbers (Mac app). So perhaps this is a OS issue.

Tim

image.thumb.png.95b4910e836da1f42634823374d98bd8.png

Edited by Tim Norman-Prahm
Discovered other instance of issue not in VW
  • Like 1
  • JuanP unpinned this topic